Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Totem 2-step. I've already had it stuck down once, and replaced by SRAM. The main reason I bought the 2-step was for the travel adjust, since I do as much climbing as I do downhill on it. However, I must say, I'm really not digging the way this fork rides. I ride a pike and boxxer wc as well, and no matter how much I adjust my totem, I just can't get the same supple feel. So, I have a couple questions, SRAM isn't open for a few days, so I figured i'd poke everyones brain...

1. Are there any of you who have ridden the 2-step and SoloAir back to back? The overall feel between my WC and 2-step is night and day, but is it the same for the totem? Do the two air systems have a drastic affect on the overall ride of the fork?

2. I'm wondering how generic the internals are of these forks. Would it be possible to swap the internals from the 2-step with those of a SoloAir?

I suspect that it's the air system I don't like, but maybe some of you can shed some light on that? I can't get the initial stroke of the fork supple enough, no matter how much I play with the adjustment or air pressure. I feel like I'm riding SPV. I know that I love my wc and pike, but my 2-step feels nothing like I was expecting it to. I'm just looking for a long travel single crown that will feel similar to my wc and pike so that I don't feel a drastic change switching between bikes. If that means switching to a soloair or coil totem, then I will, but if there are tech adjustment tips on my 2-step, I would like to hear them. Any input? Don't reply if your going to tell me to buy a 36 or 66, I've been there, and I didn't care for either fork.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
How much time do you have on the fork? Have you allowed it enough time to break-in?
I've had my new warentee fork for 2 months now. It should have been broken in long ago with as much time as I have on it. The harsh initial stroke is something I didn't experience with my WC or pike, even out of the box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello
lyrik need a break-in period (around 20hous of riding).

it is not possible to change the internals between 2step and solo air.
the 2step is a little bit less sensitiv than the soloair. but once both get break-in the difference is almost nothing.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
Say Whaa???

dustplayer said:
hello
totem and lyrik need a long break-in period (around 30hous of riding and even more on the 2step).

it is not possible to change the internals between 2step and solo air.
the 2step is a little bit less sensitiv than the soloair. but once both get break-in the difference is almost nothing.
Dusty - Slow your roll player.

2-Step IS a solo air fork and the spring dynamics are damn near identical.
Totem and Lyrik do not need 30 hours of break in time.:nono: Where did you find this? Is this your opinion? If so, cool, but documentation goes a long way.

To the O.P,
As much as you probably don't want to hear it, seeing as this is your 2nd fork from RS, your fork may have a bushing problem. Binding or tolerance issues probably. I'd call RS if I were you. In the mean time, maybe just change or lube your wipers and see if that helps. It sounds like you know what you want and how it should feel and you may want to swap to a coil. It means buying a few parts and a potential bushing issue may still be there but it's an option.

Curious though, what pressure are you running your Totem at and how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
39 Posts
MartinsMental said:
Dusty - Slow your roll player.

2-Step IS a solo air fork and the spring dynamics are damn near identical.
Totem and Lyrik do not need 30 hours of break in time.:nono: Where did you find this? Is this your opinion? If so, cool, but documentation goes a long way.

To the O.P,
As much as you probably don't want to hear it, seeing as this is your 2nd fork from RS, your fork may have a bushing problem. Binding or tolerance issues probably. I'd call RS if I were you. In the mean time, maybe just change or lube your wipers and see if that helps. It sounds like you know what you want and how it should feel and you may want to swap to a coil. It means buying a few parts and a potential bushing issue may still be there but it's an option.

Curious though, what pressure are you running your Totem at and how much do you weigh?
hello
i write too fast.
i've got lyrik and i tought it was the same with totem.
on both lyrik i ride (a coil one and on 2 step one) i need to ride them some time(around 20 hours so with 30hours you are sure) to have a plush and pike-like feeling. there were no bushing problems.
maybe it is different with the totem.
break-in is not a problem. i prefer a fork that neek to be break-in but will last for a long time rather than a fork plush out af the box and with play after 6 months.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yeah, bushing tolerances sounds plausible. I'm not familiar with the 2-step/Soloair internals. Can you turn the fork upside down? It'll allow the bushings/seals to be covered in fork fluid. Oh, I suppose an oil change wouldn't hurt either after the break-in period. Also, that way you know the correct amount is in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello.you can turn your fork upside down.
you can also, and you should, change your oil. with the totem it is really easy. you have the speedlube port to do that. it take 5mn to remose the used oil and put new one. by doing that you will keep your fork new.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
2.5wt

XSL_WiLL said:
Yeah, bushing tolerances sounds plausible. I'm not familiar with the 2-step/Soloair internals. Can you turn the fork upside down? It'll allow the bushings/seals to be covered in fork fluid. Oh, I suppose an oil change wouldn't hurt either after the break-in period. Also, that way you know the correct amount is in there.
Big Willy -

I've had really good luck with 2-Step using 2.5wt fluid. The lighter oil flows really nicely and the 2-Step "pops".

Keep it in the back of your mind if you ever get the chance.
Word.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.