Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing 75 on the deserted 202 in Mesa at 11pm last night en route to the airport, when i slowed down to avoid a photo van. You can't convince me that in this situation what I was doing was dangerous and warranted a ticket, and the ridiculousness inspired an idea:

what if you put on a hat, glasses, fake beard...basically dressed yourself up to look like a Hasidic Jew, or a Muslim with headdress, or a Rasta, or a hockey goalie...sped by the cameras flashing a beer bottle\liquor bottle\blunt\kilo of blow\naked chicks\pressed ham...how could they prove it was you? But what a great photo you would get in the mail!!!!! Soooooooo...anyone got anything along these lines:

bored at work, trying to engage in some silly civil disobedience.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If there is not a clear photo of you driving the car it will be thrown out in court.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Also, if they mail it to you and you ignore it for a certain amount of days, they throw it out right? Technically mailing it does not count for actually being "served".

Lawyers, bring it.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Yeah, theres a million loop holes. In the first two months they sent out over 150,000 tickets, most people just pay....suckers!!

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Kortface said:
.. In the first two months they sent out over 150,000 tickets, most people just pay....suckers!!

Actually they took 160,000 pictures of speeders but ONLY sent out 40,000+ tickets!

Apparently lots of folks are wearing masks! :thumbsup:

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Also, if they mail it to you and you ignore it for a certain amount of days, they throw it out right? Technically mailing it does not count for actually being "served".

Lawyers, bring it.
i got served last year... in flagstaff at my house. i didnt even know i had the ticket as i didnt come in the mail.

if you blow it off you will get served.

i think there is a rap song about that.

oh yeah... i know a guy up here who got one while driving his wife's car. his picture, her car registered to her. she got off... told the court/judge that it was being worked on at the time the photo was take. obviously it wasnt her in the picture/ not sure if i buy it though...

·
igoslo
971 Posts
CactusJoe said:

Lawyers, bring it.
They've got 90 days to serve you and if you can dodge them for that long you're off. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
159 Posts
happy_ending said:
i got served last year... in flagstaff at my house. i didnt even know i had the ticket as i didnt come in the mail.

if you blow it off you will get served.

i think there is a rap song about that.

oh yeah... i know a guy up here who got one while driving his wife's car. his picture, her car registered to her. she got off... told the court/judge that it was being worked on at the time the photo was take. obviously it wasnt her in the picture/ not sure if i buy it though...
Ah, implying that it was the auto mech might work OK. A co-worker got a notice in the mail w/ a pic of his wife driving his car. He said "that's not me" and they threw out the ticket. He didn't tell them who was in the picture, but they automatically (and blindly) re-issued it to his wife. Taking the 5th may not work anymore. :(

Heck, they might as well issue duplicate tickets to everyone in the household... one of 'em has to be the right person, 'eh?

·
Registered
328 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I'm lobbying for Government to monitor our homes with live cameras. It's for our own good and the 'safe' thing to do.
Oh, don't worry it's coming!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,988 Posts
chollaball said:
I was doing 75 on the deserted 202 in Mesa at 11pm last night en route to the airport, when i slowed down to avoid a photo van. You can't convince me that in this situation what I was doing was dangerous and warranted a ticket, and the ridiculousness inspired an idea:

what if you put on a hat, glasses, fake beard...basically dressed yourself up to look like a Hasidic Jew, or a Muslim with headdress, or a Rasta, or a hockey goalie...sped by the cameras flashing a beer bottle\liquor bottle\blunt\kilo of blow\naked chicks\pressed ham...how could they prove it was you? But what a great photo you would get in the mail!!!!! Soooooooo...anyone got anything along these lines:

bored at work, trying to engage in some silly civil disobedience.
Luckily for you, I just took a Defensive Driving course to avoid paying a ticket;

If you get hit by photo-radar and it's really not you in the car, they may ask you who it was (they used to not do this, but now they might).

If you do not answer who it was, you are "obstructing justice".

Not paying and trying to "hold out" and not answer who it was can get you in big trouble.

Most photo-radar tickets get thrown out due to obscurations and other abnormalities.

I don't know how long it takes to get the ticket in the mail, but I'm waiting to see if I get one from almost 3 weeks ago - my Highline was on the back of my car and could have totally obscured the plate.

They got someone a few weeks ago doing something like 150+ on the 202, he didn't have any plates because he just got it from the dealer, but the cops IDed the make and model and simply called up the local dealer and asked if anyone had bought one recently. Nailed.

I'm not going to say there aren't ways around tickets, but a lot of what you hear is BS.

·
Meatbomb
7,857 Posts
And soon they will add additional charges if the word ARIZONA is not visible on your plate.... Grab the screwdrivers and remove those license plate frames.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am sure most of you are aware of these.....but for those who are not...here are some recent additions.

These are the new cameras that are installed. The pictures will start
snapping October 22nd !

Interstate 10
**Eastbound, I-10, 287th Ave.

**Eastbound, I-10, Miller
**Eastbound, I-10, Watson
Westbound, I-10, 91st Ave
East & West, I-10, 75th Ave
East & West, I-10, 59th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 35th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 43rd Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 27th Ave
East & West, I-10, 15th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 16th Street
Westbound, I-10, Buckeye
Westbound, I-10, 24th Street
Westbound, I-10, 40th Street

US 60
Westbound, US-60, Alma School
Westbound, US-60, Mesa Drive
Westbound, US-60, Gilbert Road

Interstate - 17
Southbound, I-17, 15th Ave
Southbound, I-17, 12th Street
Northbound, I-17, Thunderbird
Northbound, I-17, Bell Road

State Route - 51
Southbound, SR-51, Thomas Road
Southbound, SR-51, Highland Pkwy.

Southbound, SR-51, Bethany Home Rd.

State Route - 101
**Southbound, SR-101, McDowell Rd
**Southbound, SR-101, Indian School
**Southbound, SR-101, Bethany Home
North & South, SR-101, Glendale Ave.

Southbound, SR-101, Olive
** Eastbound, SR-101, 75th Ave
** Eastbound, SR-101, 59th Ave
** Eastbound, SR-101, 35th Ave

**Starred camera locations will be set up and taking pictures starting
between October 17th and 22ndT

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
I believe that when the legislation went forward to add the cameras in the first place, an agreement was reached that the fine would be higher than for a normal speeding ticket (the kind where smokey comes over and looks down on you over those 'respect my ugh-thor-ugh-tie' glasses) in exchange for the state not reporting the data to insurance agencies. So unless you are in danger of too many points on your license....no need to take the safe driver class to avoid higher premiums. Still......getting a funny pic in the mail would be worth a few laughs at the bar on friday night.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I'm lobbying for Government to monitor our homes with live cameras. It's for our own good and the 'safe' thing to do.
...see that's my plan. I'm gonna hang out on the 202 with my camera and get some clips together, so I cash in on all this third party action.:thumbsup:

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Then I believe it must now show up on the MVR...there was an article in the AZ Republic on 5 DEC (Friday) which specifically stated that the compromise of no reporting to insurance agencies came with a higher than normal ticket cost....hedging that folks would not contest the tickets and just pay up.

·