Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'd be willing to bet that there's probably at least a few flyfishers here, and I'm wondering if any of you use bamboo rods. Ever since I started fly fishing (just a few years ago) I've been kind of fascinated by the bamboo rods, most likely due to reading a lot of John Gierach!
Then, while in Ft. Collins this weekend for a wedding, I stopped into my favorite fly shop ever, St. Peter's. I picked up Gierach's book on the subject, Fishing Bamboo , and I'm all twitterpated to get one.
Anyone into this niche within a niche? Does this bear any resemblance to my riding a 29" fixed gear? :D

the los

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
sslos said:
Well, I'd be willing to bet that there's probably at least a few flyfishers here, and I'm wondering if any of you use bamboo rods. Ever since I started fly fishing (just a few years ago) I've been kind of fascinated by the bamboo rods, most likely due to reading a lot of John Gierach!
Then, while in Ft. Collins this weekend for a wedding, I stopped into my favorite fly shop ever, St. Peter's. I picked up Gierach's book on the subject, Fishing Bamboo , and I'm all twitterpated to get one.
Anyone into this niche within a niche? Does this bear any resemblance to my riding a 29" fixed gear? :D

the los
Hey Los!

I used to fish get out quite a bit but I'm down to once or twice a year lately. I own one bamboo rod but it's soo old and beautiful that I've never had the guts to take it out!

I've read a few Gierach books as well:) Have you read The River Why by Duncan? If not run out and get it tonight....best thing I've read in a while!

B

·
Registered
397 Posts
sslos said:

the los
Yes, I fly fish with bamboo.

Also, if we're recommending books, go
and read WOLF by Jim Harrison.

Don't stick with Gierach, either. After reading two of his books,
it obviously starts to sound the same.
You could also try reading McGuane and Harrison (as mentioned above)
books about fishing; but, in the end, everyone starts to sound
like Hemingway.

MTBR content: I like to ride bikes and split my limited time between
mtbing and fly fishing.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
I own a cool old one

It was my grandpas, it is from the 30s or 40s has three tips of differing stiffnesses. It may be worth $30 or $1500. I ran across it in the garage the other day and for a second I considered selling it on ebay, but I'll just keep it and maybe learn to use it some day.

I fly fished a bit in Colorado as a kid and then a bit in California in high school, but never enough to get real good or really hooked. I hear it can be addictive and expensive and I already have two hobbies/sports like that.

MTBR content: if a bear is chasing you when you are on a ride, lead him towards a fly fisherman who will certainly be of more interest :D

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
sslos said:

the los
I fish quite a bit. All saltwater, though, from my little crappy boat. I had a bamboo rod, an old one I found. It broke the first time I used it.
I prefer a plain old st. croix flyrod. solid, cheap, dependable. more like a surly. but if you are the 29er fixed gear H-bar gotta-be-retro-cool-different, then bamboo rod is right for you.

In the end, I usually spincast poppers or troll. It's usually too windy to flyfish here.

But catching a fukkin huge bluefish or striper on a flyrod is crazy fun. then i kill it and eat it.

MTB SS content: i actually don;t ride that much in the middle of the summer because the fishing is so good here.

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
I've built a few

They are great for small stuff but its hard to get the type of line speed you need with todays fly lines. But - everytime I go for panfish, small bass, etc I grab a bamboo with my Grandfathers 1940 something reel. Every winter when I think back on the summers fishing I always think of the bamboo days first. MTB related = when I look back on good rides I think of the fixie trail rides first. I like keeping it simple or something. Dont know. Check into building your own bamboo. Its really very simple.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
sslos said:

the los
Yes and no. I've pretty much only been fly fishing for Musky for several years now, and I do not think there is any bamboo rod that could work or last. It is tough fishing, but you go back for the punishment if you ever catch a big one, get close or see one eat a duck.

I don't think photos do the top fresh water predator justice, and the one in this pic is a tiger (hybrid), but at least 4 feet and big enough to eat birds and mammals based on the photo:
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/index.php?ntid=35245

If you know people who fly fish for esox with salt water hooks please ask them to stop or consider stepping in front of a fast moving bus or train and burn in hell. Same goes for playing them excessively if they have no intention of eating the fish.

P.S. An old single speed makes a great river shuttle machine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah.... I thought my bikes cost me a lot....

I fish all types of rods, I really like the Mike Clark, 7' 9 " 4 weight. I fish up in Alaska for Silvers and the Green river in June. I guess I put in about 50 days a year on the water, mostly with a fly rod.

JS

·
Registered
218 Posts
No No No...

Flyfishing and singlespeeding/29er are nothing alike (even with a bamboo rod). If I were FORCED to make a comparison it would be style. IMO, bamboo rods are like big squishies, they absorb the bumps and make the ride more enjoyable, although no more rewarding. Singlespeeding on the other hand is like dryfly fishing. There could be plenty of rainbows taking nymphs but you just have to cast that size 18 caddis to fool the wise brown, may more rewarding. My heart's still with the river even thought I now bike more than I fish these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.