Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi hope someone can help me :confused:
i have recently obtained a pair of 24 hole carbon/ matrix rims that are 24 hole front and rear. i was asumming i could use the hubs, spokes and nipples from my previous set of wheels which are mavic crossrides. can anyone tell me if these will be compatible as it seems theres a lot more variables in wheel building than my duma$% first thought??
i would also like to know what size nipples the crossrides use as i woudnt mind buying a set of ano nipples to match the colour of my newly sprayed crossride hubs(forgive the pimping please)
any info and help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Take it to an experienced wheel builder that has worked with carbon rims. This could possibly be a more road centric LBS (Dont tell anyone I used the R word)

Why? If you mess it up, you could screw up your nice rims. If you hand it to a rookie who thinks "I could do this....." You could be left with messed up rims again.

In general, I like the use of carbon for rims. I know carbon is can be made do wonderful things. You just have to have a good design. The bad part now is still the expense of carbon.

Oh, and dont tell Mavic you are doing this. I'm sure they will have some lawyer after you for violating some hidden "terms of use" thing on their wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input ziscwg,
the rims will be taken to a highly recommended cyle shop to be built by a proffesional for sure, as im having my cycle (which i will be using as a commuter) rebuilt from scratch with all new parts. my main concern is that because the carbon rim is 24 holed i cannot find a 24 holed disc hub for toffe other than my crossride hubs which are 24 holed. but these are different to normal hub spoke lacing wise so if the spoke length is not compatible then neither is the hub and so on. i think i read on here somewhere that you can use a normal 32 hole hub to lace a 24 hole rim but id rather not and would like to get all these obsticles out of the way before i go into the shop
sry if this sounds confusing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.