Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my chain snapped during some sweet trail riding. Never been on the trail at all, and was totally bummed out because I had to coast on the downhills...and hike it through the flat and uphill sections.

Sooo...the chain seems to have come apart. The rivet is still there, and the outer link of the other end is bent...so it must have just snapped off.

Since I have never fixed a chain myself.....what do you suggest I do. I want to learn how to fix this dilemma so I do not have to bother my LBS about stuff like this. I want to hit the trails as soon as possible...so I guess I should just go to my LBS and have them install a powerlink? That way I can take it off myself when I want to fix it.

Will the bikeshop even install an SRAM powerlink on my chain? I just want to get back on the trail as soon as possible.

Sorry for the nooblet question. Thanx doods:)

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
You might need to buy a chain tool to use in removing that bent piece and the rivet. You can get a small, Park-branded chain tool for not too much money, and it'll be small enough to carry with you while riding. Have your LBS show you how to use it. Then get a SRAM Powerlink or a KMC MissingLink-9. My LBS carries the KMC, and it's trivial to use. Once you look at one, it'll be pretty obvious how to attach it (and there are instructions on the package).

·
Registered
549 Posts
It sounds like you may very well need a new chain because the current one is busted anyway and is probably too short with the (busted) link removed. A LBS will be better educated in the length (of chain) required for your bike and will be able to adjust the entire "transmission". Ask the shop tech if you can watch what he/she does and you'll be able to repair the gig next time around. . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just get a chain tool and replace the broken link with a power link. No need for a whole new chain. Carry the chain tool, and a few powerlinks with you when you ride and you'll be set to repair on the trail.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get a chain tool. get a Park cause they are better. There are other good brands but you can't go wrong with Park. You'll then have the chain tool to bring with you on rides for emergency repair.

Refer to the Park website. http://parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=5&imageField2.x=24&imageField2.y=5

This will give you the know how so you know what to do.

If you have a SRAM chain use powerlink to repair. If you have a shimano you can use the shimano pins to repair the chain. SRAM chains are better in my opinion.

You might be able to just remove the broken link and reuse the chain. The derailler will adjust for the shorter chain length. If the chain is too short then add some powerlinks to get the proper length.

You might also want to get a Park chain wear guide. It's under $10 and just tells you if your chain is worn or not. If it is then just get a new chain. get the chain tool and wear guide and you'll never have to bug your LBS again and save money as well by doing repairs and maintenance yourself.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't use a "Powerlink"...I have a chain break tool on my Crank Brothers Multi-Tool...so if you have a chain break...you can at least take the bent link out and put the chain back together on the trail to get her home...just don't go to the biggest cog in front or back and you should be fine.

Once I had the chain break I did go buy a new chain...got it on and used the leftover links as backups to place in my camelbak in case I ever had the problem again...

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
alot of bogus advice here.
you need a chain tool and a few power links
power links work with either sram or shimano chains
you can use as many power links as needed to replace the broken links.
you need to remove the link with the pin sticking out then add the power link
you can use a tool to measure chain "stretch" or you can just measure 1 foot from pin to pin, if its off more than 1/8" time for new chain, some people say more than 1/16"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts