Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first mountain bike its a Diamondback Response XE. Its a decent bike i think. I do plan on upgrading it though as $ permits. First off are there any recomendations for a decent fork upgrade under 200$...the bike tech which is also a member here recommended a rock shox xc... also what should I start upgrading first? I want to keep the derailluer till it breaks or becomes inoperable. I was thinking maybe upgrade the stem, pedals, fork, brakes, then worry about the derailluers. Any ideas? Like the title says, im basically brand new to the mtb scene.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same bike I have. I've had a year or so now. I don't ride as much as I'd like or as much as you probably get to, but I haven't broke anything yet. I'll watch your posts to see what you do, but I'm gonna ride till I break something, or until my wife decides to come ride with me, she'll get my diamond back and I'll get a new bike.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really want to spend the money for a fox fork but 400 is a bit steep. Wanting to make it a pretty mean bike over time. The frame is rock solid from what ive been told by several bike gurus. The guy that sold it to me is a diamondback god from what ive read and is a member on here. Anyways hoping some of the experts will direct me in the right was as far as upgrades!

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Keep your eye out for a Rockshox Pike on ebay. These are great forks. You don't need to spend 700 on a good fork, but you don't want to spend 200. These are older models but the value is high on them. This one you can change the suspension from 95mm-140mm.

'11 ROCK SHOX PIKE 426 U TURN COIL Mtb Bike Suspension Fork 95-140mm Black NEW | eBay

I used to start out on a Response. While the frame is bombproof, I wouldn't sink too much money into it. More cosmetic stuff if you want to. The geometry is a little weird on those bikes and you would be much better served just riding the hell out of it and saving your money in the meantime for a new bike/used bike with a higher budget.

Have fun

EDIT: The Pike I listed has a 20mm thru, it will not work with a standard 9mm QR wheel.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ride the bike and enjoy it. Don't worry about upgrading stuff right away (it's tempting for everyone though). As you said, drivetrain can wait until it wears out or breaks. I've outlined a couple of upgrade candidates below where you would actually notice an increase in performance, but I would still suggest at least waiting until you find a really good sale or model close-out.

Save up the money for a decent fork. $200 probably isn't going to get you a very good upgrade. Brakes would be a good upgrade candidate as well (hydros or Avid mechs). Why do you want to upgrade the stem?

In general, I recommend spending a little more on the bike up front rather than upgrading after purchase (it's way cheaper in the end). I guess this is advice is too little, too late though. In any case, just focus on enjoying the bike.

·
Registered
375 Posts
how do most of you decide which component is best to upgrade to ?
depends on the bike. if the bike was "nice" to start then its upgrade as it breaks.

if the bike is on the lower end to start then fork and wheels are the biggest upgrades.

upgrades are an expensive way to get a nice bike. if you buy a good fork and wheels your 3/4 of the way to a nice bike anyway.

as to which level to pick. if its not at least a couple of levels its generally not worth it in my head. moving from x5 to x7 isnt really a good way to spend money. going up to x9 or x0 is a jump. theres also what you need when you start with drivetrain its might be more than 1 part. theres very few nice 8 speed shifters anymore. so when you start looking for shifters/derailuers in nice you might need to move to 9 or 10 speed. which means several parts at once. going from 8speed x3 to 10 speed x7 is pricey and you might look at a whole new bike.

i personally wouldnt stick a $400 fork on a $300 bike. not when i can get a 800 bike ( or cheaper) that is in every way better and has the $400 fork on it already.

to the OP:
if your going to spend 300 on a fork, skip the pike spend $30 bux more and get a reba

ROCK SHOX REBA RL 26" AIR Mtb Bike Suspension Fork White 100mm Rock Shocks NEW | eBay

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'm a bit of a Shimano fanboy. So when Shimano makes something and they don't charge way more than a competitor, I just do that. I've been working my way to a full SLX drivetrain in fits and starts. Nice stuff, and it's just starting to get into diminishing returns.

Pedals were recommended by a friend. I like 'em, so I keep getting them.

Handlebar because the bike I loved in college had a flat bar. Turns out that I'd probably have to do something weird to get "my" riding position with a riser anyway, though.

Stems I pick up for $10 as experiments, usually. Getting fit dialed in is a bit of trial and error.

Shoes were in the class I wanted, inside my budget, and felt comfortable in the store. So far, so good.

I can't remember what got me onto my original saddle. TBH, it was probably more of a vanity upgrade than anything. But I find I like skinny little racer shells with a certain shape. So more recent saddle purchases (when they don't just fall into my lap) have been based on that.

The previous and current suspension forks were available at prices I could stomach. The current one isn't broken. :D And it fits my bike.

Brakes were recommended by my mechanic. I was pretty sure I wanted to switch to hydraulic; these came as a complete, pre-built set, while the other ones I was thinking of came piecemeal and I didn't want to deal with it.

Wheels were a bit more research. The rims seemed well-regarded by reviewers and posters and were relatively light, especially for their pricepoint. The hubs had a more mixed reputation - sealed bearings, but a freehub design that some people had trouble with. Since I don't typically have trouble with freehubs, I figured I'd give it a shot and cross my fingers. Aside from repacking it recently, which isn't a huge deal, they've worked great. Price was right.

Of my current tires, my rear tire was in the class of tire I wanted on the back of my bike (fast) and a teammate was selling a pair for $10. I'd been considering something else, but didn't think it would be $80 better. The one in the front, I actually bought to use as a winter rear tire. The manufacturer's name is on my jersey, so I bought their all-conditions knobby. Actually, I'm liking it on the front. The previous tire was something I bought on a mechanic's recommendation and while it does the job I bought it for, I'm hoping this one will be a little more efficient. XC racing tires don't give me as much grip as I'd like on the front of my bike.

Basically, from following forum discussion, by comparison to stuff I have, and by availability/price.

Aside from tires, I'm pretty good about only replacing things when I break them. The wheels were a bit of an indulgence too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
depends on the bike. if the bike was "nice" to start then its upgrade as it breaks.

if the bike is on the lower end to start then fork and wheels are the biggest upgrades.

upgrades are an expensive way to get a nice bike. if you buy a good fork and wheels your 3/4 of the way to a nice bike anyway.

to the OP:
skip the pike spend $30 bux more and get a reba

Thanks for the quick response, I'm currently riding a 2012 trek xcal, I'm pretty sure the fork is nice... as for the brakes and wheels I'm a bit hesitant but don't feel knowledgeable enough to make the decision, suggestion?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I'm currently riding a 2012 trek xcal, I'm pretty sure the fork is nice... as for the brakes and wheels I'm a bit hesitant but don't feel knowledgeable enough to make the decision, suggestion?
theres a wheels forum here that can answer your questions. the xcal is a nice bike. nothing really "needs" upgrades. so other than wheels i'd just ride it till it breaks and then consider wether you want nicer while your already need the new part.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Why spend $1600 on a bike if you think you need to replace stuff right away? At least ride through the season.

That said, on any bike it's worth getting the fit, contact points and tires dialed in. How long have you had it? Can anyone help you fit it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well being a full time college student, just having a baby, bought a new jeep, dumping money into my old jeep the bike i wanted "Diamondback Sortie" cant happen at 3+ grand. The frame on my bike is rock solid...i work for amazon.com so i get discounts on anything we sell.. im thinking the reba fork or a fox fork will be first. Not sure of the "quality" of my tires they are the kenda klaws. Im just hoping to not get molested with people telling me to go buy an expensive bike from the get-go and offer advise as to what to upgrade and in what order. I realize its more expensive to do it that way but its easier for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
just out of curiosity what do you do for amazon?

Thanks Andrew, the only reason i was even considering it was b/c i keep having to adjust my caliper b/c of the brake pad rubbing the rotor.. almost after every ride...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I started biking in 1998. I spent $550 on new Mongoose DX 6.5. That was a solid entry level bike. STR rear drive train and Acera X up front. Rock Shock Indy S 80mm elastomer fork. Solid bike and I rode it everywhere. From 1998 to 2001 my upgrades were limited to nothing. I put bike computer on it and kept it feed with tires/tubes. In 2002 I remvoed my Indy S fork and replaced it with a 100 Judy SL with air assist. This a coil fork with low pressure air as fine tuning. The only other upgrade after that was to clipless pedals. By 2003 I wanted to upgrade more and realize the frame was simply heavy. I had not broken much on the bike despite riding it hard, but really wanted it lighter. At 28lbs it was rather heavy.

So I choose to upgrade the entire bike to nice 23lbs unit. New frame, XT drivetrain and brakes,new wheelset, and to save money it used my 1 year old Judy and put the Indy S back on the old bike. No need to upgrade much any more. I rode til 2004 and stopped due to normal life taking over (wife, kids, etc). I started to get back into riding last October and just dusted off the old bike and started riding it again.

It may be a 26" hardtail with V brakes in a land of 29ers, hydralic disks, and 5" long travel bikes... but it still rides great and works. I have not plans to upgrade (other still throwing tires/tubes at it as needed). I can ride fast enough as is and I am happy. I just worry if I break stuff I may have hard time replacing 10 year old parts with like components.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just out of curiosity what do you do for amazon?

Thanks Andrew, the only reason i was even considering it was b/c i keep having to adjust my caliper b/c of the brake pad rubbing the rotor.. almost after every ride...
Inbound Logistics..just a job to get me through college.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im wanting some suggestions as far as what to upgrade first, and specific model/brand recommendations so I know what to look for. The bike I have retailed for 599 and its the 12 model Diamondback Response XE model. I havent been able to find any pics of it online so ill post later.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Im wanting some suggestions as far as what to upgrade first, and specific model/brand recommendations so I know what to look for. The bike I have retailed for 599 and its the 12 model Diamondback Response XE model. I havent been able to find any pics of it online so ill post later.
Look you just bought this bike. Ride it. If something breaks fix it. Otherwise ride it. Why upgrade... Do you know it is substandard somewhere for your riding?

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will not be able to get a “new” fork upgrade for under $200 that is better than what you have. Going with some fox or a Reba is a good way to go. Stick with 100mm travel though. You change that you will mess up the way the frame works. IMO you at least need to get an air shock to justify an upgrade. Don’t upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Upgrade because you need it.

The stem upgrade you mentioned is pointless unless you need a different size or just want some bling. No other reason to replace a perfectly good stem.

For pedals either go clippless pedals and shoes a or get flat set of pedals, not the caged ones, and some 5 10 shoes. Either way you need to get pedals and shoes. I prefer clippless but it is really a preference thing. Shoes and pedals would be a really good upgrade for you right now. If you bike is working fine right now this is what you need to do.

As far as the order to replace this is the best way if you want to go piece by piece as you have said.
Ride the bike until something breaks or is not working too well anymore.
Examples:
Your fork keep bottoming out or it locks up on you then get a fork.
Your brakes are not stopping all that well and the shop said that’s all they stop they got. Get new brakes.
Your wheels can’t stay true anymore because they are cheap and your riding style has progressed in such a way you are much harder on them now. Get new wheels.

IMO the best two upgrades are the wheels and fork. Fork first if you need one but wheels make it a whole new bike. When I moved from stock wheel set to a simple set with XT hubs the difference was night and day. All of a sudden I was hitting dips and where I had to pedal up before I was just coasting up them now. It was crazy.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Well why didn't you say so? These problems are usually solvable.

Front wheel, rear wheel, both? Hydraulic brakes self-adjust, so you generally shouldn't have to mess with them until it's time to replace the pads. Usually this means something else is wrong...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts