Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys,

first of all i know i'm gonna sound like total newb, but when it comes to gear im lost. i have been riding a chameleon for the past four years, last two as a single speed, and this past year i have been getting more into urban, dirt jumping and still riding pretty technical single track (usually about 9 mile loops with lots of logs, 2-3ft drops, nothing major). so here is the problem... i have been looking for a frame that is more urban/park/dirt jumping friendly but i can still put the seat up for a little x-country. i went to a mtb park over the weekend and rode a bunch of demo's and i think that the GT RUCKUS DJ felt great. the problem with that is, i cant find them in the states! (anyone know why?) so here is the criteria,,,

short rear-end
long-ish front end (around 23")
lower top tube than my S.C.
i only want to run a 80-110 travel fork
im hoping to spend no more than $1000 for complete bike or $500 for frame...

ANY input would be greatly appreciated...

·
Young.Brash.Hopeful.
371 Posts
mistaare said:
whats up guys,

first of all i know i'm gonna sound like total newb, but when it comes to gear im lost. i have been riding a chameleon for the past four years, last two as a single speed, and this past year i have been getting more into urban, dirt jumping and still riding pretty technical single track (usually about 9 mile loops with lots of logs, 2-3ft drops, nothing major). so here is the problem... i have been looking for a frame that is more urban/park/dirt jumping friendly but i can still put the seat up for a little x-country. i went to a mtb park over the weekend and rode a bunch of demo's and i think that the GT RUCKUS DJ felt great. the problem with that is, i cant find them in the states! (anyone know why?) so here is the criteria,,,

short rear-end

check out the Cove, Stiffie....

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
mistaare said:
whats up guys,

short rear-end

Specialized P's or Giant STP would be my call for that duty and price. Im surprised you don't want the Chameleon for that though. Its the perfect bike for what youa re doing, imo.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
mistaare said:
i was thinking of that as an option,,,

anyone have any opinions on the evil d.o.c.?
DOC is a great urban/park bike but I wouldn't love it on an xc ride.

A little spam here but my bud's started a company this year doing 24" specific street/park/dj frames. Check em out at www.unionstreetbikes.com Also, page Evil4BC here, he can give you some great scoop on some other things that might work for you. Sick product coming from his crew @ Nemesis!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mondaycurse said:
Your current bike seems good enough. Maybe it would be better to upgrade it for urban/dj.
i do like the S.C., with 2.3 tires i have to run the my wheel all the way back in the drop outs. if i could i would take the front geometry, make the stand over height lower, and shorten the rear end just a bit. the ruckus has been the only thing that i have come across that has a realatively shorter travel fork and i felt comfortable riding. i tried a stp but the chain kept skipping and couldnt get a good feel of it.

what would you suggest doing to upgrade the sc?

unionbikes, i was looking at one of those at 'rays' over the weekend but i didnt get a chance to ride it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mistaare said:
i do like the S.C., with 2.3 tires i have to run the my wheel all the way back in the drop outs. if i could i would take the front geometry, make the stand over height lower, and shorten the rear end just a bit. the ruckus has been the only thing that i have come across that has a realatively shorter travel fork and i felt comfortable riding. i tried a stp but the chain kept skipping and couldnt get a good feel of it.

unionbikes, i was looking at one of those at 'rays' over the weekend but i didnt get a chance to ride it.
bippity bump...

guys i would like ANY input on frame selection. there are a ton of different company's out there and its little overwhelming!!! thanks!

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
mistaare said:

when are you going to be there next? you can ride mine. there's nothing better than throwing a leg over one to really see what you think. mine is locked in the storage room if you want to see it and Im not there. if Im around, you can ride it anytime.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
namaSSte said:
when are you going to be there next? you can ride mine. there's nothing better than throwing a leg over one to really see what you think. mine is locked in the storage room if you want to see it and Im not there. if Im around, you can ride it anytime.
we were thinking of coming up jan 2, but may not feel like it after the weekend :D i agree there is nothing like taking an actual ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.