Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Smokey on another thread talking about riding in Okinawa:

SMOKEY said:
the trail consisted of thick jungle vegetation, NON STOP WET ROOT ACTION, mud, clay, streams, inch thick dead leaves, wet rocks, puddle after muddy puddle, occasional sand, steep ups and downs through said terrain... basically very nasty conditions.
Wow, that's a near-perfect description of the ride I took with some friends last night here in Maine. Note that we are not completely oblivious to erosion issues; it had not rained in a week. It's just that when you live in a place where there's a lot of rain, where it's often cloudy, where it's usually cool, where it's hilly, where there is a dense tree canopy, and where bedrock is only about six inches down, things just stay very wet for a very long time. If you don't ride wet, you don't ride.

On two separate occasions on this ride my bike was completely underwater. In one case I got mired down in a smelly, soupy black mud hole that was deeper and muckier than I'd expected, and I just keeled over all the way, like Artie Johnson on his tricycle. In the other case i was riding through a clear water "puddle" with a sand bottom, and it just turned out to be much deeper than it looked. I was literally up to the top of the tires there.

This kind of thing is far from unusual where I live, but now that I have a much bigger investment in my bike (Turner frame, CK hubs, Deus BB), I'm wondering whether others who have first-hand experience with this kind of riding - Southwesterners need not apply - think that immediate preventive maintenance on hubs and/or BB is required in this circumstance and, if so, exactly what is required, given that we're talking cartridge bearings. (In the old days, I would have done a complete disassembly, then cleaned and repacked the bearings, but I'm a bit lost in the new world.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since it sounds like everything is a cartridge bearing I would worry too much since you can't really do anything. I would pull the hubs apart and get all of the water and grit out and relube the ring drive. Pull the BB as well. Yes this may the bearings to wear a little faster, but hell they're cartridge bearings. Ridem till they're dead and replace.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Tscheezy put up a few good bearing maintenence posts. He has quite a few wet/muddy/schlocky rides up in AK.
He also posted how to open, clean and relube all the CK hub cartridge bearings w/o removing them from the hub shell. (I think in the W&T forum)

I've flushed and repacked my CK headset bearings...entirely unnecessairily...even TS has indicated the HS stuff stays clean and fresh for a suprisingly long time.

I flushed and repacked my $himano BB bearings. Easy as pie-cake. You probably know all about the pivot bushing service. I'm guessing you should be able to get by with just pumping in new grease, but I'll let others chime in on that. If you have the time, a little teardown inspection wouldn't hurt though. Especially on the HLs.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
We have a few rides here which involve a great many deep river crossings, beaver pond crossings, lake riding (in the lake) and tidal slough fording. BBs just dissolve after a while and my Shimanos are non-serviceable, so forget that issue. The King hubs are very well sealed and so I would not do anything special, but you should open them up twice a year and repack them anyway. Annually at least.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.