Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, Park, and am sure others. You might need two to get a good range of accuracy for different needs on the bike, one with a higher value register for things like bottom brackets and one for smaller values like stem bolts. You can get a pointer or clicker style, mostly about how much you want to spend...

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
cycljunkie said:
Who makes a good torque wrench for bike related repairs/maintenance?
I have used this cheap $20 Craftsman beam wrench for everything down to a rotor bolt, but it does seriously lack accuracy down in that end of the spectrum. It's good for torque values beyond the 50 ft-lb range, which is where a bottom bracket maxes out. This is the same rebadged wrench that Park sells for $15 more, the main difference being that Park uses a narrower in-lb scale while this Craftsman will need to be converted from ft-lbs.

Here's a sweet lil S&K dial torque wrench I picked up on eBay after months of searching. I managed to score it for around $35, but retail is close to $200. This covers the 0-150 in-lb range, which is perfect for picking up the slack where the Craftsman wrench begins to fuzz out. Not really a justifiable expense at retail, but at a bargain price something to keep your eyes peeled for.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Here's a sweet lil S&K dial torque wrench I picked up on eBay after months of searching. I managed to score it for around $35, but retail is close to $200. This covers the 0-150 in-lb range, which is perfect for picking up the slack where the Craftsman wrench begins to fuzz out. Not really a justifiable expense at retail, but at a bargain price something to keep your eyes peeled for.

Yeh I'm looking for one of these too, but as you said new they're damn expensive and hard to justify if you're not a working wrnech or shop owner.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
You can do what I did -- string together a "favorites" search on ebay that'll email you whenever something pops up, and then set up an account on AuctionSniper.com to do your bidding for you.

It took me a couple of months of trying before I won this one, but similar wrenches are listed every so often so there is bound to be a deal in waiting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.