Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
Funny--even though I own 3 torque wenches I have never used one for installing rotors, just give the bolts a good snug and off I go!!! Now bars, stems, carbon, and the likes always use a torque wench!!!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Nikhil42 said:
Would you know how many turns to do for each bolt on the rotor for juicy 3's? I went to Lowes and a torque wrench was 80 bucks...
You can't go by number of turns. But if you get a Torx T-25 screwdriver and use it to tighten the bolts, you should be in the right ballpark with little chance of severely overdoing it. (Go for "tight" and don't attempt to over-muscle it at the end.)

The limited lever arm of the screwdriver in conjunction with the strength of your hands might actually do a better job of getting in the right ballpark than the $80 torque wrench from Lowe's. (Rotor bolts require 55 inch-lbs of torque. If you get a 3/8" drive clicker style wrench, graduated in units of ft-lbs, that 55 inch-lbs (or 4.6 ft-lbs) is either outside of or at the very bottom of its usable range.)

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
$60 to $80 for a torque wrench.

$60 to $80 to replace a stripped hub.
$60 to $80 to replace stripped stem.
??? $$$ to replace stripped fork crowns.

I think of it as an investment. I have been taught to use the right tool for the job. And I do thoroughly enjoy posts "I was barely tightening this item, and it stripped, should it be covered by warranty?"

I am a bit surprised I am the only one thinking it is a great idea. Actually, seeing the [email protected]#$# work many LBS do on servicing bikes maybe i am not so surprised.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
Nikhil42 said:
K, I'll order that before I do anything. Don't want to ruin my new 1K bike just during assembly...

What sorts of things should I be doing for regular mantainence?
Never heard of that brand--go to Sears and get a Craftsman, they make a very nice 25-250 in.lbs clicker for $59.99 and while you are at it buy the $7.99 case they sell. A torque wrench is a percussion tool and should be treated as such. Only use it for torquing nuts/bolts. Never use it as a ratchet or breaker bar. After you are finished using it back the torque setting all the way off to just below the minimum setting. Most problems people have with clicker torque wrenches are self induced, treat your tools right and they will treat you right:thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
you need a t25 anything else will almost 100% likely strip the **** out of the head of the bolts

go to home depot and grab something like this i take it on all my ride and it has everything i will likely need on the trail to make repairs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.