Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be bleeding my codes when they come in. The screw for the port on the lever is said to be needed to be at 1.5 to 1.7 nm.
My park tool 5.2 starts at 2.

What is everyone using for stuff below 2?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Good basic torque wrench practice is to not trust a torque wrench in the lower 25% of it's range. There are small torque drivers that work down in that range, but I don't know of anybody using them for brake bleed ports. They aren't very common. Everybody goes by feel. Turn it until it stops, then maybe 1/8 turn more.

Here's one that goes from ~0.4 to 4.5 Nm.

https://www.amazon.com/CDI-401SM-Ad...rds=CDI+401SM&qid=1560007086&s=gateway&sr=8-1

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
That's pretty low. Personally, I would just snug it up and call it good. It's not a torque critical part so as long as you don't strip it, no problem. I've never used a toque wrench on a bike for a torque that low. I certainly wouldn't buy a wrench just to cover it.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
I am an absolute fascist when it comes to promoting torque wrench use, but I would not bother with measuring for a torque value that low. I appreciate the specific torque value being given, but I think printing a value that low is just saying, "don't gorilla-arm this tiny bolt and strip it, you idiot!" make it snug, then give it a little extra twist and you're good.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
like everybody said, torque is too low to worry about. I personally start using a torque wrench for 4nm / 5nm range and above. seatpost clamp, stem, brake calipers, and above.

don't worry... tight it up and call it good, just don't go too hard and you won't have problems

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have used these for years on low torque assemblies. They are $$ but if you really need something done per spec these work very well and hold up in a production environment. Any professional tool will come with certification of calibration and they all need to be calibrated after a period of use. The rotary slip adjustable models span a range and are good for R&D lab, on the production line we would use pre set versions.

https://www.tohnichi.com/torque-screwdriver.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.