Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am planning on buying a torque wrench so I can work on my bike myself in the future. I found one that I really like, but there are two versions. One that can do from 1-8nm and, the other 2-16nm. I have a 2019 Bronson C S with the Reserve Wheel upgrade, is there a place I can find all the torque requirements for the bike? I would like to know which of the two would be the best one to get. If I never need to go below 2nm, I'll get the 2-16nm wrench. Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I wouldn't use a torque wrench for 2nm or less for sure.

That's so minor that you're likely to do more damage than good by trying to get it to 2nm or less.

Also, there is a certain percentage accuracy at given range throughout the spectrum.

For example, the wrench may be claimed to be 2% accurate between 10% of the dial and 90% of the dial. Lower and higher than that range may be 4% accurate, for example. So that means that if you are trying to put in 1nm torque (not much more than finger tight) at 4% accuracy you're probably going to over tighten.

There are a number of threads where people have reported to break a bolt from tightening bolts to low values. They entrust the wrench will tell them to stop, but they keep going until the small bolt breaks because the wrench didn't tell them to quit.

Most components that require a specific torque value have the value printed on the item. For instance, your stem will tell you what he torque value is, based on whatever stem you purchase.

·
Magically Delicious
11,540 Posts
Hello,

I am planning on buying a torque wrench so... 2019 Bronson C S with the Reserve Wheel upgrade, is there a place I can find all the torque requirements for the bike?
You really need two torque wrenches of different torque ranges to be eligible of covering what you need to perform a complete service on your bike. The Bronson has a range of torques from 5 nm to 50 plus nm. There are several common torques requiring 16 nm. That's the very top of the torque wrench that you're looking at that will have notable error because it is at max. range. Pivot axles are 20 nm, upper pivot bolts at 16 nm. Cranks and bottom bracket torques exceed what you're considering.

Bronson torque specs here

Depending on your individual components, refer to the specific component manufacture for their torques.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.