Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy and neightbour Jay got a Zion frame and we started to build it last night, due to some missing tools and parts the build is half way done which isn't a big deal because I have one quiestion that I need to get answered before we start playing with the EBB.

What is the amount of torque required to tight the EBB pinch bolts? I dont want to overtighten them or leave them loose risking the shell or breaking the bolts on the thread of a brand new frame.

Will pics of the build later on.

Thanks

DD

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This how it's looking so far

We're missing the seat post clamp, saddle and the tool to install the external bearings.

This is the BB shell that I'm inquiring the torque measurement about

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't be hamfisted

DiRt DeViL said:
What is the amount of torque required to tight the EBB pinch bolts?
DD
I have one of those frames, now 10 months old with more time on it than my fully/geary since putting it together. I haven't ever worried about exact specs (I do have lots of years in the business behind the bench though) while adjusting for chain stretch. I take it up snug and add just a little more torque at that time. Just exercise caution and you should be fine. There is probably an index somewhere of how much torque a fastener (5 mm thread, I think??) of that sort commonly uses. It is worth noting that they are not a hardened bolt when looking for those specs. Happy Googling.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Got it!

Mudflaps said:
There is probably an index somewhere of how much torque a fastener (5 mm thread, I think??) of that sort commonly uses.
After a quick trip to the garage, I find that that is a 6 mm bolt. (edit, that is not a grade 8 or higher bolt, so proceed accordingly.)
Here is a link to an engineering site that lists lots of cool info, including what you're after.
Note that they talk about dry fit, so if you use grease or anti-sieze (better) on the threads, you should be safe going a 1/2 ft-lb tighter.
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque1.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts