Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used the numbers from Tscheezy's Maintenance guide when tightening the pivots (23Nm on the 3 T40 pivots 3approx on the HL pivots and i think about 5Nm for the shock pivots). Noticed that on the Turner website tech page - bushing pdf -http://www.turnerbikes.com/010/010tech/turnertech_bushingM.pdf - it talks about 23 Nm for the main pivot but then gives a different setting for the other pivots - about 13Nm I think, and the inference appears to be the main pivot is the rocker - seatstay one.

Am i reading this right & if so what settings should I be using?

I'm asking as I changed the bushings a few monrths ago, tightened to 23Nm and I've still got a fair bit of stiction in the bushings even after plenty of rides - stiction to the extent that in order to get the suspension to move with the shock out, I have to push fairly hard with the frame in a bike stand, and was wondering if some of this could be due to overtightening of the pivots?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
according to my 7 year old xc maintenance card

Lube all 5 grease fittings every 10 rides. "I do so only 3-4 times a year and only replaced my pivots due to the damage from removing the old ones for powder"
Torque settings (check before every ride) "I allmost never do this"
Shock and linkage bolts 9 ft/lb-12.5 nm
Main pivot bolt 17 ft/lb-23 nm
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

I had my 03 re-powder coated 6 months ago and it's been smooth as butter. Maybe something got buggered while you were replacing them. I lubed the crap out of everything during assembly and then injected more afterword; they pushed together easily.
Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slowrider said:
Lube all 5 grease fittings every 10 rides. "I do so only 3-4 times a year and only replaced my pivots due to the damage from removing the old ones for powder"
Torque settings (check before every ride) "I allmost never do this"
Shock and linkage bolts 9 ft/lb-12.5 nm
Main pivot bolt 17 ft/lb-23 nm
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

I had my 03 re-powder coated 6 months ago and it's been smooth as butter. Maybe something got buggered while you were replacing them. I lubed the crap out of everything during assembly and then injected more afterword; they pushed together easily.
Good luck.
I ride in the UK so the weather demands bushings get lubed regularly. So I should only tighten the main pivot to 23nm - the main pivot being the rocker / seat stay?, & the rest to12.5nm? is that correct?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Think so

At least thats how I read it, and how I've allways done the job.
spyke said:
I ride in the UK so the weather demands bushings get lubed regularly. So I should only tighten the main pivot to 23nm - the main pivot being the rocker / seat stay?, & the rest to12.5nm? is that correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slowrider - have just found a torque values thread in the set-ups, faqs etc sticky, which suggests the 23nm/5nm/3nm values are the correct ones, your maintenance card was superseded - don't know why those values are still on the Turner website though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.