Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the better (easier) climb to the trailhead? Ollason to Pipeline Connector, Toyon, Cougar? other?

Thanks - never been up there.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Easier? LOL!

Ollason isn't a that bad, there's like 1/2 mile of steep stuff but its a pretty easy pedal other than that. It gets hot out there.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easier? LOL!

Ollason isn't a that bad, there's like 1/2 mile of steep stuff but its a pretty easy pedal other than that. It gets hot out there.
Every possible way up to that trail sucks.
I would recommend just taking the main fireroad (Ollason) and climbing up sh*t hill at the end.

Fun trail though!
Thanks!

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,583 Posts
Which is the better (easier) climb to the trailhead? Ollason to Pipeline Connector, Toyon, Cougar? other?

Thanks - never been up there.
Awfully suspicious you haven't ridden there yet.. You being from CV makes me think you could probably see your house from the top of 1800..

In life, I have made an agreement with myself as I age... If the time comes where I can't pedal the entire sh*tty part, then I shall acknowledge that I am in fact, old. But for now, I bust that OUT! Now go on and Git Some!!

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valley Boyz

Awfully suspicious you haven't ridden there yet.. You being from CV makes me think you could probably see your house from the top of 1800..

In life, I have made an agreement with myself as I age... If the time comes where I can't pedal the entire sh*tty part, then I shall acknowledge that I am in fact, old. But for now, I bust that OUT! Now go on and Git Some!!
Haha you still have a good memory, too, but I left the Valley in 1980! NINETEEN F'N EIGHTY. Punk Rock dropout! I've lived in SF for 30 years. SC from 80-86. I rode at Toro one time in 2006? CXDH race - tore my rotator cuff and quit riding other than city streets for 8 years (had a bunch of annoying shoulder injuries in succession and couldn't carry my kids around or even sleep). Finally got a new modern bike in 2015 and I want to check out Pipeline! I still go down to see the cabin every couple of weeks - that's why I ride FO quite a bit, but it can get redundant.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Pipeline is fun, but it's my least favorite downhill trail out there. Poke around!
The good thing about pipe is that it's one of very few trails in Monterey County that you can ride wide open and not have to worry about anyone hiking or attempting to climb it.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,583 Posts
The good thing about pipe is that it's one of very few trails in Monterey County that you can ride wide open and not have to worry about anyone hiking or attempting to climb it.
Kind of, and you are correct on most instances... I do however have a ton of stories of Pipeline, but the most recent was where a few motorcyclists had been on it, claimed they were lost and had mechanical issues. I have also had several incidents where hikers had impeded my travel.. One being an uninformed camp leader that took 20 kids up pipeline, rather than Bessie Cyn..

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I've seen hikers before. I've also seen cows standing right in the middle of the trail.
My luck has been pretty good out there, but I only ride Toro on Monday mornings and the place is pretty much deserted. Cows on the other hand, yeah they can impede the flow at times but don't recall ever seeing them on the single track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.