Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Lame. I recently had my car stolen, I got it back but a few things like sunglasses, binoculars, a backpack and my work jacket were all taken.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Car burglaries have been increasing a lot since California lowered the penalties from felony to misdemeanors a couple years ago. Responsibility is going on the insurance companies because police don't have the resources to investigate the big numbers of burglaries now.

Break-ins suck. I got my car broken into and they stole $3000+ of my sports equipment. My car was parked at Calero trailhead parking lot which is a really good area.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,583 Posts
GOOD POST!!! Finally the Sheriffs office has some photos of at least someone that they think could be to blame. For years Toro has seen car break-ins, especially in the lot across from 7-11. I was living in Toro Park when my house was robbed and they took every mountain bike I owned. When I called the cops to report it, they did very little to help me. I called the Sheriffs office for months and not a thing back. This is a great thing to see this!!

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,583 Posts
Didn't even know that was a serious issue there. My friends were going a ton during the wet months.
Oh man. We call it the Home Shopping Network, where they shop, at YOUR home!

Now mind you, this is mostly smash and grab. People aren't jacking bikes off tailgate pads at stoplights like in other places we ride.. Instead they wait for you to be across he street in your friends garage just out of sight...

Mostly stealing bikes and belongings from garages left open and unlocked cars mostly. But in some cases there have been some serious crimes in the area. Not reflective of the beautiful neighborhood and the affluence that makes up the surrounding areas.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Car burglaries have been increasing a lot since California lowered the penalties from felony to misdemeanors a couple years ago. Responsibility is going on the insurance companies because police don't have the resources to investigate the big numbers of burglaries now.
If you think cops devoted any resources to investigating car break ins prior to the passing of Prop 47, you are mistaken.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If you think cops devoted any resources to investigating car break ins prior to the passing of Prop 47, you are mistaken.
True, but lowering the penalities definitely increased burglaries a lot and criminals know that police don't have the time or resouces to investigate, so they are not deterred. Double whammy. I forgot the statistic but only a tiny handful of the criminals are caught, so basically it's a free for all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Didn't even know that was a serious issue there. My friends were going a ton during the wet months.
I have a hard time imagining it is a big problem there during the day when most of us are mountain biking. Pretty ballsy considering angelinas crowd coming and going especially in the afternoon. I have parked there(across from 7 11) a boat load of times with my work car packed full of tasty insured stuff and have never seen broken glass or heard of any sketchy activity before this.

Is mtbr the new next door?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I have a hard time imagining it is a big problem there during the day when most of us are mountain biking. Pretty ballsy considering angelinas crowd coming and going especially in the afternoon. I have parked there(across from 7 11) a boat load of times with my work car packed full of tasty insured stuff and have never seen broken glass or heard of any sketchy activity before this.

Is mtbr the new next door?
nextdoor.com ha, ha, ha.... i get that. EVERYONE is a suspicious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.