Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new shock for my 2002 RM Hammer hardtail. I'm a 215 pound x-country rider. I thought I was sure on buying the TORA 318 (air vs coil is another question), but then I noticed the deals and reviews on the MARZ MZ pro eta. Just wondering about opinions on these two forks. The bike originally had a 80mm fork on it, would the 100mm of the Marz be too much? I appreciate any input.

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Tora owner here (coil). I've got a beefier spring and couldn't be happier. Really plush and a pretty good bargain considering it's very closely related to the revelation/reba

If you get the coil version you will need to upgrade the spring before you ride it, and you need the black one. If you get the air, well then just pump it up and go ride!

·
Its all sketch
28 Posts
I have a tora 302 and I think its great. Its got good travel 80-120 and lockout for uphill. Id go with the tora

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I hate to bring this thread back, but since it's already about the Tora-I'll ask here.

For those of you that own the Tora 318 Air- Just how hard is it to adjust the travel to 130mm? The Manual states that "the user should look on www.rockshox.com for information on how to adjust the travel." Well I perused through their service section and I could not for the life of me find any specifics on how to adjust it. I'm hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on where I need to look, or what exactly I need to do in order to make use of all 5" of travel. I'm aware that it involves taking the fork apart, but that's all I know.

Thanks in Advance!

And to the O.P.- I apoligize if this comes across as a thread "hijack", it wasn't meant to be.

·
I win.
713 Posts
It's just a spacer in on the air shock side. Seeing as you want full travel out of your fork all you'd have to do is remove the spacer in there now. Be sure your bike was built for the increased travel. I've seen plenty of bikes snap in half because the fork was too long.

Here's a pdf that shows you how to take apart the fork

Click

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Hey thanks! Just what I was looking for! It looks like it's going to take some time to go through all of that... I'm guessing I would need new oil?

Oh, and I'm sure the bike wasn't designed for that much travel. (GF Joshua F4) But, I'm not too worried about breaking it, and I imagine I will as I tend to break lots of things (I'm into weightlifting and I'm 6'2, 250 with a linebacker build. I can't for the life of me stand doing cardio in a gym, it is so redundant to run in place.) I do plan on purchasing a new bike shortly. I'm just waiting for Uncle Sam to give me some of my money back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.