Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to increase the travel on my 06 tora 318 shock to 130mm,to work better with a longer travel full suspension frame I just purchased.According to the service manual there is spacer that snaps on to decrease travel from 130 to 80 depending on how much travel you want,(mine currently has 100mm).Has anyone out there done this themselves or should I take it to my LBS and have them do it ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems that mine is the coil version,so changing the travel would be different than just removing the spacer,(thats the air version of this shock).Any idea if this is even possible? According to specs the 318 was capable of 80,100.130mm of travel.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing a little tinkering,dispite what the manual says, this forkdoes have an adjustment for this on the top left side.They really need to be a little clearer with instructions for shocks especially.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
jeff1962 said:
After doing a little tinkering,dispite what the manual says, this forkdoes have an adjustment for this on the top left side.They really need to be a little clearer with instructions for shocks especially.
A travel adjustment or a spring preload adjustment?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a plus and minus sign on it,if I turn it to the plus,(counterclockwise) the fork certainly seems to have more travel when I push down on it.Am I confusing travel with preload ? This is my first experince with full suspension so I am definantly learning as I go here.All your comments are much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yeah it is a Uturn model. U-turn is Rock Shox's travel adjust system. You can adjust your Tora from 85mm to 130mm. Your fork's complete name is Tora 318 U-turn (for future reference ;) )

Preload is just a compression of the spring to make it start at a deeper point in its compression (it becomes harder)

·
I win.
713 Posts
I have the 318 air solo version of the tora. To adjust between the different travel lengths would I just adjust the air pressure to what the sticker says on the shock.

For example I weigh 145lbs
At that weight for 80mm travel it say that the pressure should be anywhere btwn 140-160 psi
for 100-135mm they recommend 100-120 psi

So if i'm understand this correctly if I have it set in those ranges that's about how much travel I'll get out of my fork?

Another question, what would be the advantages of running the fork at 80mm? I'm assuming it'd be a lot stiffer. Anything else?

Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Popper252 said:
I have the 318 air solo version of the tora. To adjust between the different travel lengths would I just adjust the air pressure to what the sticker says on the shock.

For example I weigh 145lbs
At that weight for 80mm travel it say that the pressure should be anywhere btwn 140-160 psi
for 100-135mm they recommend 100-120 psi

So if i'm understand this correctly if I have it set in those ranges that's about how much travel I'll get out of my fork?

Another question, what would be the advantages of running the fork at 80mm? I'm assuming it'd be a lot stiffer. Anything else?

Thanks
Popper,

The air-solo is a fixed travel fork. In order to change the travel say from 100mm to 130mm would require the fork to be serviced to remove the spacer. To decrease travel you would have to add the longer spacer that should have come with the fork. The air pressure chart you are referring to is to set the forks sag. Which should 15-20% of the forks total travel. --Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.