Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· rider
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a Rock Shox Tora 318 29er fork in the mail today. It was a new take off from a Fisher Cobia. Can't be bought aftermarket yet. Scored it for $200 shipped from another member of this board via ebay. Wanted to try this "econo Reba" for a few reasons since I read all the rave reviews written up about it in the press. That and I was starting to really loath the flex in my stock Marz fork. If my guess is right and this sucker ends up being stiffer than a Reba, I'll have gotten a super upgrade for cheap.

It is heavier (about 1.16#'s) than the Reba because it has 4130 cro-mo steel upper tubes & steerer and a beefier crown. Hippy Tech Suspension gave it the thumbs up, he rode it at the '06 RX release party, and thought that it may well be stiffer than a Reba because of it's burlier chassis. Since I'm a big guy and love to ride the nasty sections, if I can, I decided to give it a try. The Tora feels no heavier than that accursed noodle Marz it replaces. Tons of downtube clearance, this may be becuse my frame is an XL.

Got the travel switched to 100mm and slapped it on. Set the sag at 25% for starters. So far it is a huge improvement, both stiffer and smoother, than the '04 Marz MX Pro Bomber that I just took off. The bolt on arch those 29er Bombers use is so '90's. In theory, the Tora should have less stiction (as well as less bushing and seal wear) because the cro-mo upper tubes are chromed: smoother and harder than the ano AL tubes found on the Reba.

The compression and rebound adjusters have a wide range of effective adjustment. That was a nice surprise.

I'm heading down to the Monterey Bay in the early AM and plan to hit Soquel Demo, Nicene & Wilder. I'll report next week with further impressions.

29erchico

· rider
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
canti's

slim_pickens said:
You have to love chrome plated stanchions. Maybe it will be the first decent fork that lasts more than a couple of years. Can you get it with canti bosses?
I have seen in print that they all can be ordered either way BUT that may not include the 29er version. Since they also say that all versions of this fork can have 80-130mm travel. This 29er version only does 80 or 100mm travel.

I'd say call Sram and get the skinny on this one. But remember, for the moment, the 29er version can only be bought attached to the front of a Fisher Cobia. The Fisher rep I talked to said that they did not have an exclusive on this bigwheel version of the Tora, so there is hope that it will come available aftermarket.

29erchico

· highly visible
3,283 Posts
29erchico said:
It is heavier (about 1.16#'s) than the Reba ... The Tora feels no heavier than that accursed noodle Marz it replaces.
If memory serves, 1.16# heavier than the Reba is indeed still lighter than the Marz.

· Registered
6,137 Posts
$$$$$

29erchico said:
Just got a Rock Shox Tora 318 29er fork in the mail today. It was a new take off from a Fisher Cobia. Can't be bought aftermarket yet. Scored it for $200 shipped from another member of this board via ebay. Wanted to try this "econo Reba" for a few reasons since I read all the rave reviews written up about it in the press. That and I was starting to really loath the flex in my stock Marz fork. If my guess is right and this sucker ends up being stiffer than a Reba, I'll have gotten a super upgrade for cheap.

It is heavier (about 1.16#'s) than the Reba because it has 4130 cro-mo steel upper tubes & steerer and a beefier crown. Hippy Tech Suspension gave it the thumbs up, he rode it at the '06 RX release party, and thought that it may well be stiffer than a Reba because of it's burlier chassis. Since I'm a big guy and love to ride the nasty sections, if I can, I decided to give it a try. The Tora feels no heavier than that accursed noodle Marz it replaces. Tons of downtube clearance, this may be becuse my frame is an XL.

Got the travel switched to 100mm and slapped it on. Set the sag at 25% for starters. So far it is a huge improvement, both stiffer and smoother, than the '04 Marz MX Pro Bomber that I just took off. The bolt on arch those 29er Bombers use is so '90's. In theory, the Tora should have less stiction (as well as less bushing and seal wear) because the cro-mo upper tubes are chromed: smoother and harder than the ano AL tubes found on the Reba.

The compression and rebound adjusters have a wide range of effective adjustment. That was a nice surprise.

I'm heading down to the Monterey Bay in the early AM and plan to hit Soquel Demo, Nicene & Wilder. I'll report next week with further impressions.

29erchico
$200 bucks well spent. Enjoy!

"Set the sag at 25% for starters"

If the Tora is like the Reba the recomended air settings are too high.

Just in case........ :)

· rider
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Psi?

DeeZee said:
$200 bucks well spent. Enjoy!

"Set the sag at 25% for starters"

If the Tora is like the Reba the recomended air settings are too high.

Just in case........ :)
You have that right: in this case I'm about 22psi below what the factory suggests.

Sweet fork, just got back from a ride that had rough & fast as well as as rough and techy sections. I thought I would like how it turns really well. What ended up impressing me the most is how well it holds your line thru the rough stuff, both firm rough and loose cobble sections are way more composed. Less drama, more moto. 32mm 4130 stanchions: wahoo!!

Looking forward to getting some more hours on it and seeing how plush it can be when broken in.

29erchico

· Registered
6,137 Posts
Yes psi

29erchico said:
You have that right: in this case I'm about 22psi below what the factory suggests.

Sweet fork, just got back from a ride that had rough & fast as well as as rough and techy sections. I thought I would like how it turns really well. What ended up impressing me the most is how well it holds your line thru the rough stuff, both firm rough and loose cobble sections are way more composed. Less drama, more moto. 32mm 4130 stanchions: wahoo!!

Looking forward to getting some more hours on it and seeing how plush it can be when broken in.

29erchico
Check out this thread. It may save you some time and frustration (it did for me) ;)

Enjoy!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=135479&highlight=reba+harshness

· Registered
51 Posts
Not to gloat, but I have a Tora brand new and uncut waiting for a frame for me to put it on. It sucks being a poor!!! grad student. It has been sitting in my garage for the last six months! :mad: soon, though, I should have the funds saved to put it on something. I am working on getting the images up. back soon with pics....

· Bicyclist
2,974 Posts
I've been very happy with the Tora that came on my Cobia. Comparing it to a 26" Fox Vanilla it's as least as stiff torsionally and is very well damped. It's also very quiet and seems to be built to tight tolerances. As already mentioned you need far less air pressure than the manuals recommend. The stanchion chroming is very impressive to look at. Mine was a little unresponsive to small bumps at first but it has continued to break in and become more supple. Right now it's working very well after 2 months of use.

· rider
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
avow943 said:
Not to gloat, but I have a Tora brand new and uncut waiting for a frame for me to put it on. It sucks being a poor!!! grad student. It has been sitting in my garage for the last six months! :mad: soon, though, I should have the funds saved to put it on something. I am working on getting the images up. back soon with pics....
Any more 29er Tora uncut available? I have a buddy that really wants to get rid of the Marz Marathon noodle on his '04 292.

29erchico

· Bicyclist
2,974 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.