Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone have experience with Topeak racks and bags? I'm looking to get the MTX TRUNKBAG DXP bag with one of the following racks. I have a hybrid bike with disc brakes, so I'm looking at disc brake model racks.

There's a lot of choice in Topeak racks, so I'm reaching out to anyone who has experience with them.

Considerations:

The DX models have a separate bar for panniers, but I'm not looking to get full on panniers atm as the trunk bag comes with saddle bags that fold up when not needed. Do the bars on the DX models have any other use?
The "UNI" models have adjustable legs which seems like a good option as I'd like to set the legs lower as I've heard a lower centre of gravity of better for bike stability.

I'm also little concerned with the saddles bags either fouling with the wheels or interfering with peddling. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, Anyone have any experience with the springs on Topeak racks?

I'm open to suggestions as well Thanks everyone!

UNI SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/832-uni-super-tourist-dx-(disc)

UNI SUPER TOURIST (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/834-uni-super-tourist-(disc)

SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC) (W/O SPRING)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pr...racks/149-super-tourist-dx-(disc)-(w-o-spring)

MTX TRUNKBAG DXP
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/rear-rack-bags/122-mtx-trunkbag-dxp

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
I've used the Topeak bag you mention, and several Topeak racks. The racks have been good, but my trips have only been max 5 days, and mostly overnighters. The DX trunk bag seemed expensive and small to me, but I didn't use the fold-out panniers. As you mention, I found them too floppy for actual offroad riding. I've since moved to a proper seat pack, but prior to that I used a Topeak rack with a drybag (around 15L) strapped to it, and it was a really solid setup.

Does your bike have rack mounts? I had to get creative mounting the rack without them, but plenty of ways to do that out there if you need to.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. Yes, My bike has rack mounts and I'll be getting a disc brake bag, as mine has disc brakes. The DXP bag has close to 23L or cargo space. I'll be using mainly for day trips and a few overnighters. I've read good reviews about the DXP, and seen various Topeak trunk bags in store and they look of high quality. What do you mean by "floppy"? With the MTX quick track rack and bag combo, the setup seems very secure. I don't plan to do any hardcore off roading, mainly gravel/dirt trails and pavement.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
No worries. For sure, quality is high, and my gear has lasted and been functional.

By floppy, I meant that panniers flop around when riding MTB trails, but it sounds like that won't be an issue for you. The volume is good with the panniers in use, I never did use them as I was worried they'd foul in the rear wheel (happened to a friend, but again, this was during technical offroad riding).

·
Registered
622 Posts
I use the Super Tourist DX with spring and an MTX DXP trunkbag.

I don't use the spring often, but it comes in handy at times.

I don't have the disc version, but I do have disc brakes. It's never been a problem for me, but it must be a problem for someone, since they make both kinds.

I really like the 2nd rail. If you will never use panniers, then probably not worth it, but I tend to use the trunkbag for commuting and use regular panniers for touring. The 2nd rail moves the panniers down enough to leave a good amount of space on the top rack. Also, while I frequently use the fold-out panniers, actual panniers hold more, so if I know I'm going to need them, I bring my actual panniers. The fold out ones are good for an unplanned stop or when you just need a little, temporary extra capacity. I'm not sure the fold-out panniers are robust enough for constant use. I've definitely ripped one on an older bag I had. I actually have a grocery-bag pannier on my bike almost all the time, and because of the lower, 2nd rail, I can leave it there when I slide the trunk bag on.

The fold out panniers have little, elastic loops at the bottom that hook on to your rack when you expand the panniers. They don't flop that much as a result. It's better yet with the Tourist line of racks because they provide more support to keep the bag out of the wheel, but I've never had an issue with the Explorer style, either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.