Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this may sound stupid to some but i am having issue using my new Topeak fork pump (pocket shock dxg). I have a 2011 rock shox Recon Gold fork and i followed topeaks visual instructions for the pump but every time i attach it, its not reading air pressure nor is it allowing any into the fork. Is there a trick i am missing or something? Afraid i am going to break this thing. Yes i did tighten it down all the way.:madman:

·
Registered
448 Posts
when you threaded the pump onto your fork did it give you and issues? it should be very easy to turn the threads. Usually when you have it all the way on, you get a little burst of air from the shock and the gauge goes up. From there it should be easy to pump. I have never use the Topeak pump. Didn't your Recon come with a pump? I know I got a Rock Shox pump with my Reba. Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i threaded it on all the way i didn't get a burst of air. I took some pliers and gently turned it down, just now and i didn't get crap on it. Think i will just order a rock shox pump.

·
Registered
448 Posts
before ordering a new pump, you might want to take it into your LBS and ask if you can borrow their shock pump. that way you know that you're using a tried and true shock pump and you can see if you still have the problem. Otherwise other solutions might be a bad valve in the shock. Is that a Dual-Air shock? If so, did you have the same issue on the other valve?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its a solo air so i have no other way of checking it. But i have only rode on it for a hour tops its brand new so shouldn't be broke already. The fork is all ready adjusted i was just checking my equipment out, don't want to be on a trail and not know how to use what i have.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just checking, you screwed the valve on, then did you screw the top of the valve in? They are a twin stage valve, connect the valve by screwing in and then on top of the valve, usually in a different color is a knob that you screw in to push the valve in

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe that wasn't the best description. Screw in on with the silver part then abovecthat where it is black start turning that to engage the valve

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The DXG has an internal isolator valve that isolates the pump from the air chuck to prevent air loss when removing it from the fork valve. The draw back of this type of system is that the pump will usually not read pressure when first attached to the fork valve. It requires a stroke or two of the pump to over come that isolator. So attach the pump normally, then begin to add air as normal. You should feel some resistance at first, but then it will suddenly get easier to pump when the isolator pops open. From there the pressure should read until you detach the pump. If it doesn't work this way then you have a problem with the pump most likely.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I did advance the acuator as per diagram and pumped it a few times and air meter went up quickly and i backed it off per diagram and air rushed out. I think it may be defective because the screws are a pain to move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts