Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else own a DB Topanga?

I just got my DB Topanga for xmas and i love it. Theres only a couple things i plan on changing such as: better fork, hydraulic brakse or better mechanical brakes, and better shifters (feel like im gonna brake the shifter levers..) So far the only thing ive done to her is put on some nice platform peddals and a handle bar mounted light (incase we get caught in the dark)..On to the pic.

This is on my first ride with her;

More pics to come and possibly some vids.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a mid 90's Topanga in my basement if that counts. Congrats on the new bike. Its nice to see someone stoked on a new rig. My suggestion is to ride the **** out of it and not worry too much about upgrading parts. Upgrading the fork and brakes will be expensive and will not be recouped if you decide to change bikes. See how you feel about biking a year from now. If your still diggin it, find a bike you can't afford and buy it. Thats how the rest of us do it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hey, nice bike! I've been riding a Topanga since 2000. Worn out some parts, but the frame is still bulletproof as it ever was. I've always meant to upgrade the fork, but you know, I never did and I still have lots of fun on that bike. Anyway besides, that Rockshox Jett has held up a lot pretty good considering it was the cheap entry-level fork at the time. I should post a pic when I get the chance. Glad to see Topanga's are still out there - enjoy yours!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pinknugget said:
I have a mid 90's Topanga in my basement if that counts. Congrats on the new bike. Its nice to see someone stoked on a new rig. My suggestion is to ride the **** out of it and not worry too much about upgrading parts. Upgrading the fork and brakes will be expensive and will not be recouped if you decide to change bikes. See how you feel about biking a year from now. If your still diggin it, find a bike you can't afford and buy it. Thats how the rest of us do it.
Thx man. Yea im debating on upgrading or not. Ive always rode bikes so they arnt new to me just mtb bikes. I just really hate the fork, it always bottoms out even tho i have it as stiff as it goes and as for the brakes they are growing on me now that they are broken in.

Im deff going to buy a full suspension bike (prolly specialized) in a year or two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bolandjd said:
Hey, nice bike! I've been riding a Topanga since 2000. Worn out some parts, but the frame is still bulletproof as it ever was. I've always meant to upgrade the fork, but you know, I never did and I still have lots of fun on that bike. Anyway besides, that Rockshox Jett has held up a lot pretty good considering it was the cheap entry-level fork at the time. I should post a pic when I get the chance. Glad to see Topanga's are still out there - enjoy yours!:thumbsup:
Yea i love the frame. You should deff post up a pic!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Energetik said:
I believe the Topanga name was revived for Sport's Authority. Not 100% on that one though.
Yes its just a re-badged Response for Sport's Authority....btw that place sucks big time for buying bikes. My bike was so half assed put together. Ive had to dam near rebuild it, noting was right..

·
Registered
875 Posts
PieRow said:
Yes its just a re-badged Response for Sport's Authority....btw that place sucks big time for buying bikes. My bike was so half assed put together. Ive had to dam near rebuild it, noting was right..
:bluefrown:
Looks like they dropped the specs pretty considerably since I bought mine. Oh well. The higher end Diamondbacks look like they still provide a pretty good value.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Is it straight Topanga? They had a few trim levels just as they do with the Response.

As to upgrading a current one...seems to be a good frame. They're made by Kinesis who make frames for several other major manufacturers like Specialized. The Response frames that I've seen up close aren't bad. The paint is weak, and the hangers seem a bit weak too, but that's it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ahaha, i'm on a topanga myself, but on the new one. its like metallic orange, with some okay components. though, it could use some upgrades.i like it though.
gonna get a fully, and make this into an all mountain, all city, all trail bike. ahaha

·
Registered
47 Posts
this was the 2008 version. They didn't sell the topanga from 06, to 07. brought it back in 08, and now the apparently alot of bike police forces are using this bike, but modified. The only thing different was Shimano HONE Components, unlike the ACERA of what it has now.
but i can assure you, it does exist, and its an awesome hardtail for you to do everything on. Frame is bulletproof, paint is not :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Okay, here we go

As promised - my well loved Topanga. Had to clean out the garage anyway, so might as well snap a pic. Actually its in surprisingly good condition. Still a great ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
bolandjd said:
As promised - my well loved Topanga. Had to clean out the garage anyway, so might as well snap a pic. Actually its in surprisingly good condition. Still a great ride.
I've got that same bike only in Red and Black ... I'll snap some photos of it next time I get around to it...

I loved that bike ... I've given it to my wife now as she is a casual rider ... She likes to cruise and not go down the hardcore trails with me... I rode the crap out of mine before I got my Fisher...

Glad to see the new ones went with discs ...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.