Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another set up question related to my handlebar (a Mary). When I turn the bars the levers contact the top tube. This is only really a problem when the bike is inthe stand, or when I eventually crash it. Does anyone have any tips for a top tube pad to keep the levers from dinging the top tube? Are pads worth it for portages on a single speed. I remember a while back riderx had a pad made from an old rug, but I do no think he stuck with that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

GF

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Turn the levers up.

Greenfix said:
I have another set up question related to my handlebar (a Mary). When I turn the bars the levers contact the top tube. This is only really a problem when the bike is inthe stand, or when I eventually crash it. Does anyone have any tips for a top tube pad to keep the levers from dinging the top tube? Are pads worth it for portages on a single speed. I remember a while back riderx had a pad made from an old rug, but I do no think he stuck with that.

Any other ideas?

GF
Can you turn the lever higher towards the front of the bar? Most people can benefit from doing this anyway, it gives you better ability to grab the lever firmly when you are way back on the bike like you might be in a sketchy descent where you may most need the brakes. If this won't work, assuming you have a fairly strong tube that is not going to dent, I'd just figure out where the lever will contact the tube and wrap a few turns of electrical tape there. For a thin, custom looking pad, try some nice tennis racket grip material, I used that for the oversized chainstay on my FS bike and everyone thought it looked trick and wanted to know where I got the cool protector tape. If you really want a pad, try a long BMX top tube pad, Dan's Comp would probably have something, I'm not sure how long they come. There are 3 options, but you may get others as well. Good Luck!

·
559 Posts
Greenfix said:

Any other ideas?

GF
If you have $37.50 to spend you can always go the track/fixie route

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
There are dozens of ways to protect your top tube. Here are some:

Track star aspirations? Kashimax.

Extra cork bar wrap hanging around or that scrap tube you were about to discard? Strap it on with electrical tape.

Me? I just leave my levers loose enough to rotate if they hit the top tube, but tight enough that they don't move too much under normal use. If'n they end up scratching, well, that's what stickers are for. :)

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Greenfix said:
I remember a while back riderx had a pad made from an old rug, but I do no think he stuck with that.
The rug is alive an kicking but it was for pure style (thanks to the KC riders), the bars did not hit on that bike. On the Crosscheck I've got top tube full of fur glued on with my friend Super77.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought an Under the Weather top tube pad for a new surly I've got set up kind of cruiser like, nothing but a coaster brake. I've though of making it fixed but i need something to ride when I'm lazy. I priced the rubber thing and found it really is $37+ bucks everywhere! I found "under the weather" when I googles top-tubes although I've heard of them before. there are lots of top-tube makers out there (page after page if you google it) but these people make a really tight fitting one for steel frames and they will make it to the length of you top tube which I thought would look much better, it does.!
I dont have a camer a right now but if you can imagine surly grey (you've seen it I'm sure) with a olive drab thin, tight toptube protector running the whole length o the bar. it has black at the ends and a small red logo. it fits really tight, i remember having tube protectors when i was a kid and the always twirled around and were crappy foam with cheap vinl. this thing seems worth more than the $25 i bought it for.

now I'm thinking about finding some olive drab parts to put on somewhere but the bike is minimalist, nothing but a coaster brake and I've never seen OD rims or hubs or cranks. I guess I'll have to hunt down some grips for the straight bar on it or find some matching tape for the drops I have extra

anyone know where I can find OD stuf?

·
Registered
338 Posts
ROACH makes a nice top tube pad. I have it mostly to give some cush on the shoulder during hike-a-bike situations.
In your situation, I'd just use some electical tape, or I'd glue on a peice of tire liner. Its very tough so your levers hitting it won't hurt it. I have an extra strip left over from putting liners in my commuter tires to guard against punctures. The liner has also been usful as a shim when mounting reflectors, mud guards, lights, locks, anything mounted to the tubes on my bikes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. There are a lot of great suggstions.

I run the levers fairly loose, so that they can be moved by the ground on impact. I also have them little loose so that I can dial in their position, because I do not have trail miles on this bike yet.

You all have given me some ideas though. I will check some of them out.

Cheers,

GF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.