Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here put a pad over the top tube cable stop that is up close to the stem?

I have bailed 3 or 4 times now and gouged my inner thigh/knee on both sides of the cable stop. I have the scars to prove it!! I'm sure many other Ventana owners have similar scars.

I was thinking of throwing a small velcro pad over it. Something like a old school B<X stem pad. I haven't tried it yet but has anyone else tried this remedy?

I just did it again yesterday on a ride and it's getting old! :)

·
Having a nice day!
1,421 Posts
Can't say I have had the pleasure of ripping my leg open on those things yet. Sorry to hear they aren't agreeing with you.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whenever someone uses the word "pleasure" in that context I can't help but think of Austin Powers! hahah "Oh you haven't HAD the pleasure yet babe!"

anyways!!

It's not so much of a ripping open of the skin as a deep bruising or a nice skid across the skin leaving a nice red trail of abrasion.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
I have the same problem -- darn things are as sharp as razors on my Pantera. Thought about getting a TT/DT protector that DH rigs use to protect the frame from stanchion dings on double-crown forks but I have not found one at a local shop yet. If you find something that works let me know.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I want an entire top tube pad. The only cable stop that really bothers me is the one by the stem so I'm thinking I might just pick up 2 of these Roach/RaceFace DH Stem pads.

https://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/medium/729.jpg

The only issue I forsee is that the stem pad is already stitched with an angle built in. I may go down to the lbs and see if I can find something different.

The cable stop that is closer to the seat post does catch on my Roach leg armor and has torn the right one a bit and ripped the stitching of one of the straps. I might throw a pad on it too if the pads fit well. The stitching ripping is a leg armor problem not a cable stop issue... the pads are only single stitched where the straps are so they tear easily.

When I get the pads and throw them on I'll report back.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I knew there was a thread about this but my search didn't come up with anything!

I don't think the tire knob trick will offer enough protection for what I'm after but man, that looks like a really cool trick!

I am running full cable housing so I don't mind completely covering my cable stop with a pad of sorts. I'm wondering if I could cut that stem guard in half and use on half for each cable stop. I'd have to sew the open end up to keep it from falling completely apart.

Maybe a lizard skin shock boot would work well?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sherwood ....

My El Chamuco has taken some flesh as well. Sherwood appears to be too smart to have done this inadvertantly. Maybe he is a brilliant engineer and welder, but has a dark side?

·
Registered
723 Posts
And to think I was...

criticized for sending my Salty back to have the cable stops put on the bottom of the top tube of a Salty...Hehehehe!!! Over the last couple weeks, I was almost wishing I would have just kept it with them on top so I could enjoy the ride, but now I am really glad I sent it back. What about just wrapping some clear chain stay guards around them with slits to allow cable movement...probably look ghetto, but might 'take the edge off'....

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RoundRockTJ said:
How about taking out the file and smoothing the sharper edges.
I'm not crazy about permanently altering my frame. I think a pad over it will be all that is needed. I also don't think filing would really help it that much in my case.

I just ordered something I think will work. I'll let you know if a few days....

·
Registered
79 Posts
After gouging my leg two or three times, first ride on my 2004 X-5, I moaned at Sherwood who said no-one had mentioned the problem before... don't know if he's fixed it yet but the cable guides need to be brought inside the line of the frame - they could be a lot smaller.

I fixed mine by running electrical masking tape over the corners of the guides so they can't dig in. Untidy but works fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts