Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to try out bikepacking for the first time this fall with a one or two night trip. I believe I will be able to borrow most of the gear to see if I like bikepacking but I am thinking of buying a top tube bag since I'd like one to be able to stash snacks in for longer regular rides. Does anyone have suggestions on a not expensive not large top tube bag? I was thinking about the Blackburn Local Top Tube Bag but it seems like Blackburn might be a bit of a mixed bag and it also maybe too small but I also don't want anything overly bulky.

·
sluice box
990 Posts
I personally like the Revelate Mag-tank 2000 for a commercial option. My personal rig has a DIY bag that is similar in size to the Mag-tank 2000 but lighter and with zippers. What you consider not bulky may be different then me, but I can fit multiple bars for snacks and my cell phone in the bag I am happy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a cheap one off amazon to start, but the zipper failed. I have been getting bags from Revelate, Ovega Negra, and Cedaero. Simple but quality bags. All have served me well, and I encourage you to get a better quality one as it is something that can be used in many capacities and should serve you well for years. Something to be said about buying once...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a bit too trigger happy and ordered a cheaper top tube bag off Amazon cause I wanted it for a trip in a hurry.

But if/when it breaks I will order a Ovega Negra top tube bag.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lots of good options out there. I'd look for one that open and closes easily with one hand. I have an apidura, and it's fine quality and works, but (especially in a race situation) it is next to impossible to open and close with one hand (which can become a bit of an issue if you are riding in a group). My next one will be something like the mag tank.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Personally I'd recommend getting a feedbag rather than a top tube bag. I find them to be more versatile. Lots of companies like Revelate, Rogue Panda etc make them. The Bedrock Bags Tapeat doesn't hold a bottle as well but easily opens/closes one-handed. These are in the $50 range so a bit more expensive than what you'll get on Amazon but they will also last a lot longer. These can hold tons of snacks, a full water bottle, electronics, sunglasses, pretty much anything. I have a Revelate Mag tank 2000 and it is ok but tend to use the Tapeats instead.

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/tapeats-handlebar-bag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.