Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a lot of problems with my chain not dropping off my middle chainring to my small one. I have a 22/32/44 set. I have been through 2 sets of chainrings and several chains and cassettes and put in an XT FD. I have tried toeing in, toeing out, bending the cage and have lowered the FD derailleur as low as I can go. It just seems that I can't seem to get the derailleur close enough to the middle chainring to put enough side pressure on the chain to get it to consistently shift into the small ring. If there is very little pressure it is fine, but even a small amount of pedal pressure causes me headaches. I have to be extremely cautious of my downshifts. Anyway, my question is this, does a bottom swing derailleur have a swing arc that would bring the cage closer to the middle ring?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Sounds More Like A Chainline Issue

I think a longer BB spindle would probably take care of that issue.

On the topic of TS vs BS derailleurs I much prefer the performance of bottom swing derailleurs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought about increasing the spindle length but the chainline was perfect when measured. But I will be replacing the BB soon anyway and perhaps a longer spindle length will put a little extra side tension on it. I think if that doesn't help much, perhaps a bottom swing would be my next choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.