Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 34.9, top swing, bottom pull XT front derailleur. Would a top swing derailleur work? Which model XT or XTR will work.

My bike is an 01 Giant hardtail, size small.

Thanks for any ideas!
Ryan

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
ryan123 said:
I am currently running a 34.9, top swing, bottom pull XT front derailleur. Would a top swing derailleur work?
I would guess that if you're currently running a top swing front derailleur, than a top swing would work. Care to clarify?

Top swing versus bottom swing has everything to do with clamp location, and if there is enough room on the seat tube to mount it. Compare pictures of a top swing and bottom swing and their relative clamp placement, then size up the seat tube on your bike. On hard tails, you might have a crimped, ovalized or otherwise manipulated seat tube as it nears the bottom bracket, eliminating the ability to use top swing. On some bikes, water bottle mounts or braces might prevent the use of a bottom swing. On other bikes, either style might work. All depends.

If you have a choice, I have a preference for bottom swing. Sturdier, fewer pivots, more forged, less stamped parts. My collection of Deore and LX bottom swings on various bikes have outlasted my easily tweaked XT top swings on two occassions. Put the two types side by side and you'll quickly see why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts