Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread because of going tangent in diablo post. I grew up in Brooklyn and moved to NJ last year for more than a single reason but most importantly I got sick and tired of the time it took to get to trails and being stuck in tunnel traffic. Here are some benefits I coud think of for those who work in the city but would like to hit the single track more often.Feel free to add yours.

no city tax even if you still work in the city.
if you rent you could deduct 1/2 of it from your NJ taxes
no tax on clothing and 6% on other stuff(3% by me)
cheaper auto insurance so you could get a car and have free parking.
cheaper gas, no tolls for tunnels
Best of all you get to ride whenever you want.

My commute to midtown from jersey city is under 35 min. and I could be in Allamoochy less than 40 min. Diablo under hour. I even make it to wednesday LM rides summertime in rush hour under 50min from JC if I leave work by 4:20pm..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
metaldork said:
ok, wait. what's this about deducting 1/2 rent from taxes? obviously this is state tax only?

i started working in exchange place in april and have been commuting from brooklyn. i've done the calculations on how much $ i'd save on city tax, etc and i've resisted moving to jersey so far, but this deducting rent thing is blowing my mind. maybe me, soulfly and gumby could be roomies.
It definetely has monetary benefits to move to NJ. I remember my brother did it and I just asked a co-worker and yes you could deduct certain amount of your rent on NJ state taxes.This will work for you since you work in NJ. Ask a CPA to be sure.I don't know if it works for people who live in NJ but work in NY because we pay NYS tax and get credit for it from NJ. As you know path is only $1.20 each ride(20 pack) vs. $1.80 subway(w/discnt) I own now and I used to rent in brooklyn as well and crossing holland tunnel was no fun either during weekend.

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
I grew up in NJ! I want/need/have to move BECAUSE all off the NYer's moving here. Our property taxes are insane, traffic is a total nitemare, schools are overfilled. Any open space is rapidly consumed to build or pave over any open space, that in effect adds to the overcrowding. And it seems the NY'ers like the overcrowding, they complain that they have to rake leaves or cut grass or it's too "farrr" to the "marll" Can anyone of "yous" pronounce the letter R ?

Rant

·
Registered
368 Posts
here's another reason.

the friggin [email protected] you see on your walk home from the subway putting his garbage on the ground. so you say that's not a garbage can. and he says, i don't see any. there's a frigging garbage can on every friggin corner!!!! every friggin house on the block has a friggin garbage can in front!!!! or friggin hold onto it til you see a friggin can!!!! goddam i hate this friggin town. not that jersey city's any better.

ok, got it out of my system.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
There's a benefit to moving to NJ? Geez, I've lived here all my life, and most of what used to be benifits have slowly dissappeared.

If you're commuting to NYC, you have to carefully pick a locale that has direct transportation to NY. Anyone that commutes regularly via car or even bus it can take 20 minutes or two hours.

You need a locale with either direct Path or train. Makes your life a thousand times easier.

I used to like so much about Jersey. A bunch of different places to ride, from 15 minutes to 2 hours and in between. Since South Mountain and Watchung closed, the nearest place is 40 minutes. Pick the wrong time to go or come home, you're sitting in traffic.

Want to go to the beach? From most places its an hour or less. Unless its a friday, or rush hour, or saturday. And if you're going to one of the beaches thats an hour away, not only do you have to pay, good luck finding parking and good luck finding a spot on the beach. Breathing room? Not likely.

Rush hour in NJ has changed from close to 5pm to some days starting at 2pm and ending after 7. I'm thankful the two days a week I drive to my job (college prof) its a reverse commute.

Buying a house? Make sure you factor in ridiculous property taxes with no space. Or be prepared for that 2 hour traffic commute.

Enjoy culture (the arts, music, dining, etc)? NJ has culture, but its isolated pockets. And count on the fact that once a NJ town or city discovers culture, house prices will skyrocket beyond reasonable affordability. NJ is one of those amazing places where they have colleges without the college town. Pick any of the state universities or colleges, and no matter how big, they can be right smack in the middle of the city or town and you still feel isolated from the place. Rutgers, being so spread out as a campus almost comes close to eliminating this feeling, but still its not like a lot of other places. Usually culture will follow a university to the town, even culture geared towards the college age. And I don't mean just drinking and bars, though even this New Brunswick is not that great.

Again, I've lived here all my life. I used to be a big defender of Jersey. Not anymore. Call me jaded. Call me cynical. But I'm getting out in a few years, and won't look back.

·
www.mtbnj.com
494 Posts
From a strictly riders point of view...

We moved from Nyack to Sparta about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find the following (approx time):
7 minutes to Kittatiny
10 minutes to Mahlon Dickerson
20 Minutes to Deer Park
20 Minutes Allamuchy Waterloo Road Entrance
30 Minutes to Vernon/Diablo
35 Minutes to Lewis Morris
35 Minutes to Tourne
45 Minutes to Ringwood

and commutable to NYC via Train or Bus - I do it every day :eek:

The numbers aren't too bad for me ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridethebike said:
I grew up in NJ! I want/need/have to move BECAUSE all off the NYer's moving here. Our property taxes are insane, traffic is a total nitemare, schools are overfilled. Any open space is rapidly consumed to build or pave over any open space, that in effect adds to the overcrowding. And it seems the NY'ers like the overcrowding, they complain that they have to rake leaves or cut grass or it's too "farrr" to the "marll" Can anyone of "yous" pronounce the letter R ?

Rant
You may have a valid point with people from NY coming to NJ but if you look at the stats more people are leaving both states to somewhere else than people moving to NJ and NY.Difference is as much as %20.People are moving to places like Arizona , Nevada and Colorado. Now those states got problems you are talking about. I don't see you complaining about your house value doubling within the past 5 years but complain about overcrowding. It was on the Star Ledger last week that employers in NJ are having hard time finding skilled workers. If your statement was true than you would have a big unemployment crises right? Most of the problem in NJ is coming from corruption in local and state govt. I hope you vote as much as you complain.

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
Sparta? What's your commute- 1.5-2 hours each way? Beautiful town, but no thanks.

I can get to work at Astor Place in 20 minutes from my apt. in LIC, Queens. To ride, I've made it to Sprain Ridge park in as little as 30 minutes without traffic, or 45 in RUSH HOUR for after work rides. Graham Hills is 35-40 minutes, Ringwood can be done in as little as 45 minutes with luck. Blue Mountain is 1 hour. Ninham is 1:15. Spots in Connecticut like Trumbull are about the same. Stillwell on LI is 30 minutes. New legal trails in Highbridge Park, Manhattan and Cunningham Park, Queens will be within riding distance.

AND

I don't have to buy a train pass in addition to my metrocard (what's that save- $200/month or $2400 a year? There's your city taxes right there). NJ Transit trains suck. On-street parking is free and easy in my neighborhood, and I can walk one block to a killer pub and two blocks to great restaurants, and I can stumble home drunk when necessary without putting anyone at risk but myself. I can get excellent Grimaldi's-style coal-oven pizza delivered to my door for $12/pie. Good Chinese, Thai, Indian, Barbecue, etc is all available for delivery. I also live one block behind one of the best contemporary art museums in the world, and they give neighborhood residents free admission.

AND

I can carpool with other NYC'ers when we ride, saving gas costs for everyone and lessening the environmental impact of driving.

Basically, I see it this way- I can commute extensively 5 days a week so that I'm closer to the trails those couple 2 days a week I want to ride, or I can live close to where I work and get home quickly then commute out to the trails instead. So you see, it's not so bad.

·
www.mtbnj.com
494 Posts
jbogner said:
Sparta? What's your commute- 1.5-2 hours each way? Beautiful town, but no thanks.

75 min in the AM and 75 - 90 in the PM. Key is that I work an earlier "shift" and usually am ahead of rush hour on the way home. I beleive the train to do Dover is not too bad. Like I said, my response was srtrictly based on the proximity to great riding, not commuting time - that commute can be a BEAR sometimes ;)

Damn - I do miss riding Ninham and Blue and Sprain and Grahm Hills....

·
Registered
345 Posts
neveride said:
There's a benefit to moving to NJ? Geez, I've lived here all my life, and most of what used to be benifits have slowly dissappeared.

If you're commuting to NYC, you have to carefully pick a locale that has direct transportation to NY. Anyone that commutes regularly via car or even bus it can take 20 minutes or two hours.

You need a locale with either direct Path or train. Makes your life a thousand times easier.

I used to like so much about Jersey. A bunch of different places to ride, from 15 minutes to 2 hours and in between. Since South Mountain and Watchung closed, the nearest place is 40 minutes. Pick the wrong time to go or come home, you're sitting in traffic.

Want to go to the beach? From most places its an hour or less. Unless its a friday, or rush hour, or saturday. And if you're going to one of the beaches thats an hour away, not only do you have to pay, good luck finding parking and good luck finding a spot on the beach. Breathing room? Not likely.

Rush hour in NJ has changed from close to 5pm to some days starting at 2pm and ending after 7. I'm thankful the two days a week I drive to my job (college prof) its a reverse commute.

Buying a house? Make sure you factor in ridiculous property taxes with no space. Or be prepared for that 2 hour traffic commute.

Enjoy culture (the arts, music, dining, etc)? NJ has culture, but its isolated pockets. And count on the fact that once a NJ town or city discovers culture, house prices will skyrocket beyond reasonable affordability. NJ is one of those amazing places where they have colleges without the college town. Pick any of the state universities or colleges, and no matter how big, they can be right smack in the middle of the city or town and you still feel isolated from the place. Rutgers, being so spread out as a campus almost comes close to eliminating this feeling, but still its not like a lot of other places. Usually culture will follow a university to the town, even culture geared towards the college age. And I don't mean just drinking and bars, though even this New Brunswick is not that great.

Again, I've lived here all my life. I used to be a big defender of Jersey. Not anymore. Call me jaded. Call me cynical. But I'm getting out in a few years, and won't look back.
Wow...incredibly true & nicely put!

I've lived in NJ (southern) all my life & have seen tremendous changes, espescially in the last 5-10 years. A commute that used to take me 15 min. has turn into 45~60 consistently. I tried to make it to the Beach on a Saturday afternoon, sat in traffic for a bit & said forget & went home to cook on the grill & have a beer. That 'real quick' trip to the mall or dept store is anything but quick w/ traffic nowadays.

I used to think South Jersey was great compared to the Northern half. Not that crowded, easy to get around etc etc. Not anymore...it's one big traffic jam w/ unaffordable housing & only getting worse. If I had the circumstances to leave, I'd be gone.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
7 days riding even with the commute

Live in Morris County. Do the commute to Harrison and PATH to my office on Madison. Yeah, 1.5 hours on a good day going home but I live in the country and can easily ride dirt 7-days a week so don't get the idea the commute takes away weekday afternoons in the summer. Between May and September I ride almost every day.

Also, an observation. What the Hell are these so-called long time NJ residence talking about going to the beach when talking about the ocean? We go to the shore! Other people go to the beach. Geez, get it right people.

·
Registered
368 Posts
wait til your neighborhood starts gentrifying. right now, just off the top of my head, i can count at least 10 large condo projects going up within 2-3 blocks of my house. and if you go to the other side of the prospect expressway, it's even worse. when i moved in 5 years ago, my rent was 1200 bucks. a friend who had already been living in the hood for a couple years was paying 750 for an apt nearly twice the size of mine, and much nicer. now, my landlords could probably get 1500 for my place or maybe even 1600 if they found a sucker. just a few months ago a 30-ish couple (maybe even younger, haven't got a real good look at them yet, but they do have a nice audi in addition to the house) paid 1.1 million for the house two doors down from me. and this isn't one of those nice park slope brownstones. it's brick, 12 1/2 feet wide and i think about 35 feet deep and nearly a half mile from the subway (yes, i walk it twice every day). one of the new condos that opened in the spring was selling 1 beds for 450k minimum. when i first moved in, no matter how late i got home, there was always a parking space just waiting for me out front. no more. the train is much more crowded too. and when all these new condos are finished it's gonna be much much worse.

funny thing is, whenever i think of moving, the first thought that comes into my head is what am i gonna eat? surely there's gotta be good food outside of manhattan and brooklyn. that and i'm hoping to not be working in jersey city much longer. commuting would suck. and all the towns on the path are holes.

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
Besides, Dave, wouldn't you still have to commute back to Queens anyway to visit your girlfriend? That pretty much destroys all the advantages to living in Jersey.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be moving out of NYC sometime in the next few years. But if I'm going to move to someplace to be closer to trails, it'll be Colorado, Utah, Wyoming or North Carolina, not New Jersey... ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
Also, an observation. What the Hell are these so-called long time NJ residence talking about going to the beach when talking about the ocean? We go to the shore! Other people go to the beach. Geez, get it right people.
DOH! You got me on that one! :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jbogner said:
I can get to work at Astor Place in 20 minutes from my apt. in LIC, Queens. To ride, I've made it to Sprain Ridge park in as little as 30 minutes without traffic, or 45 in RUSH HOUR for after work rides. Graham Hills is 35-40 minutes, Ringwood can be done in as little as 45 minutes with luck. Blue Mountain is 1 hour. Ninham is 1:15. Spots in Connecticut like Trumbull are about the same. Stillwell on LI is 30 minutes. New legal trails in Highbridge Park, Manhattan and Cunningham Park, Queens will be within riding distance.

I am curious , how long does it take you to get back to LIC from Ringwood or mooch on a weekend ride? It takes at least 1/2 to cross hudson river alone.

·
Registered
368 Posts
pretty much the only time i visit my girlfriend is when i want to get a quicker escape from the city. so living in nj would actually be even better from that perspective. while she has a much nicer apt, it's in a crappy neighborhood and i live in park slope. she also has a roommate and i don't. so most of the time she's at my place anyways.

but yeah, nj is actually low on my list of places to live. if i didn't work in jersey city, westchester would be pretty high.

to answer stoked's question, i can usually make it to ringwood in under 45 minutes (from brooklyn no less) in the morning or an hour to blue mountain. coming back can suck if you're later than 2pm or so. but before that it's fine. and again, here's another place where it pays to have a girlfriend in queens. i'll usually stop by her place to relax a bit before braving the rest of the way back to brooklyn. if i don't, i'm usually pretty stressed by the time i get back to brooklyn.

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
stoked said:
I am curious , how long does it take you to get back to LIC from Ringwood or mooch on a weekend ride? It takes at least 1/2 to cross hudson river alone.
Mooch is a long one, but Ringwood isn't bad. 45 minutes on Saturday, 2 hours late Sunday afternoon... Westchester is way faster on Sundays, so I don't ride in Jersey on Sundays unless I have to (ie H2H series race)... besides, Blue Mountain is more fun than Ringwood, anyway... ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
jbogner said:
Mooch is a long one, but Ringwood isn't bad. 45 minutes on Saturday, 2 hours late Sunday afternoon... Westchester is way faster on Sundays, so I don't ride in Jersey on Sundays unless I have to (ie H2H series race)... besides, Blue Mountain is more fun than Ringwood, anyway... ;)
What are you going to do when the construction begins on the Holland Tunnell? You figure GWB and Lincoln might get slammed with extra traffic.

Well I do not have to worry since I live 0.8 miles from job since I am the friendly neighborhood pharmacists at CVS in North Arlington.

Carl

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Metaldork

Another Slope rider, cool......
I am thinking of heading up to Blue on Sunday, let me know if you want to go.

cmaz44 said:
What are you going to do when the construction begins on the Holland Tunnell? You figure GWB and Lincoln might get slammed with extra traffic.

Well I do not have to worry since I live 0.8 miles from job since I am the friendly neighborhood pharmacists at CVS in North Arlington.

Carl

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.