Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a 6ft guy standing at 275lb and losing weight in search of a durable alloy wheel set that will handle my weight for a new Rocky Instinct Bc frame; any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
This place needs an enema
17,092 Posts
I'm a 6ft guy standing at 275lb and losing weight in search of a durable alloy wheel set that will handle my weight for a new Rocky Instinct Bc frame; any suggestions would be much appreciated.
The best, most durable wheelset for you is going to be one that is built specifically for you, with your height, weight, and riding style in mind.

Buying something off the shelf can be quick, but it probably wasn't designed with your specific needs in mind.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
The best, most durable wheelset for you is going to be one that is built specifically for you, with your height, weight, and riding style in mind.

Buying something off the shelf can be quick, but it probably wasn't designed with your specific needs in mind.
To restate- all the factory wheelsets are chasing the dollar of some 180lb dude who rides once a week. They're all the same, aside from catering to the whims within that user group.

I think the current winner is the evergreen dt350 and raceface arc30 offset rims, but the rim market changes quickly, and 18 poe star ratchets kinda suck off road.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would contact a custom wheel builder like Speadgear Bikes or Lacemine29. Prices will be competitive with factory built wheels but built for your needs.
yep get something custom built to your needs and to suit your budget. This is a case of do it once and do it properly.

Per below mikesee has been doing it for many, many years, even sending wheels to far-flung lands such as Australia.

Chad from RedBarnBikes in Montana too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to do some HW and reach out to some of the contacts here to see what I can get built up; only need to decided if I'm going to go a SRAM driver or with this new Shimano XT I hear that may be out soon ha.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Another vote for Mikesee and Lacemine29.com . I always thought "custom" meant "expensive" and it really isn't when you're talking about a quality build plus Mike can build it suited to your size, riding style, terrain, etc.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to do some HW and reach out to some of the contacts here to see what I can get built up; only need to decided if I'm going to go a SRAM driver or with this new Shimano XT I hear that may be out soon ha.
I don't think it's a big deal- with both S'es going 12 speed you just pick the driver that matches your cassette preferences. A new freehub is like 60-70$ if you decide to swap later on. Today there's only a few companies making both freehubs, but that won't last forever.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
With the exception of industry Nine I will always have my wheels custom built now.

I've had a few wheel's built by Dave and he's great. Tons of experience and always surprises me with how much knowledge he has with specific rims and spoke combinations as well how to tune a wheel to your specs

https://daves-wheels.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.