Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. I'm finally ready to get a new bike. I'm been out of biking for a while and i think i want to start off with a top notch hardtail.

Suggestions? Please give me a list of your favorite choices, spec'd out and why.

Thank you very much.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Krafcik said:
Ok folks. I'm finally ready to get a new bike. I'm been out of biking for a while and i think i want to start off with a top notch hardtail.

Suggestions? Please give me a list of your favorite choices, spec'd out and why.

Thank you very much.
Budget? riding style ? terrain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b12yan88 said:
Budget? riding style ? terrain?
I would say $3000 or so . . . maybe more . . .

Riding style . . .cross country. I live in texas so I would be riding mostly here, although I take a trip to Flagstaff and North Carolina once a year. I don't see myself doing any major jumping or anything like that. Just trail rides mainly.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Krafcik said:

Riding style . . .cross country. I live in texas so I would be riding mostly here, although I take a trip to Flagstaff and North Carolina once a year. I don't see myself doing any major jumping or anything like that. Just trail rides mainly.
wow... that is a high limit. custom steel or ti all the way!!! moots or seven can put something together for you fast, but frame only will be about $2000. my full custom ti desalvo was quite abit less and delivered to me in about 2 months.

or, if you need it right away, check out the jamis dragon...853 steel, full xtr, crossmax and a fox fork. or maybe a jamis dakota xc with a fox fork and mostly xt components. jamis' bikes are a pretty damn good value.

cheers!

·
College
1,198 Posts
Krafcik said:

Oh my lord, that's the first time i have seen that. Usually when someone has that much money they know exactly what they want. I would do as the other suggested and get a custome frame. Steel would be the better choice for that price limit. I would say

Frame- Sycip, walt works, desalvo, whatever works for you, and who ever communicates better. Steel sounds heavy, but some of those frames are lighter than my aluminum one; they can get as low as 3.4 pounds for your size about 800-1100

Fork- Depending on how much travel you want, but since you're only doing trail riding something in the 100 range is sufficient. i hear good things about the Rockshox Pike, Marzocchi Marathon 05, and fox of course. 400-700

Wheels- Again, with your budget, go custome. Get a good builder to build the wheels for you with the works, 500

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last bike was a cannondale super v500 so it's been awhile for me.

The seven looked nice . . . . Couldn't get a look at the moots.

What about the Felt Pro?

What do you guys think about the Seven vs. Titus

·
College
1,198 Posts
Krafcik said:
My last bike was a cannondale super v500 so it's been awhile for me.

The seven looked nice . . . . Couldn't get a look at the moots.

What about the Felt Pro?

What do you guys think about the Seven vs. Titus
I think felt pro is just another aluminum bike, so nothing really special there. If you search around in these forums anyone riding a ti or good steel bike will tell you, it rides much nicer. I don't know what they are talking about cause i never felt a good one mysellf, but i'm betting its true. I think the seven and titus will take much longer for a full custome, and they won't get into as much detail as the smaller 1 man company builders.

With that sort of budget, i think you should stay with steel since you can spend more money on the components. Ti frames are around 2000, that leaves only 1000 left, but then again you said maybe more....

walt frame http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=90552&highlight=walt

heres another with cool looking chain stays
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=88009&highlight=walt

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Independent Fabrication Steel Delux

IF steel Delux with XT drivetrain, 717 disc rims w/XT hubs. Since I like the new integrated Shimano shifter (brake and shifter on same lever) I have no problem recommending that.

If you don't like it, go with regular XT rapid fire and a nice set of hydro discs.

My IF Delux is as described above with SID fork, XT rapid fire (bike was put together prior to the new system), Magura Lousie discs, 717 disc rims w/XT hubs, King headset, Thomson post and stem and PRS saddle.

I can only recommend what I invested my own money in. Total weight of the bike is probably around 25 lbs because of the fairly heavy Kenda Klaw tires.

Before the latest set of revisions, I had the bike down to 23.5 lbs with Avid Ti brakes, Paul levers and Python Air Lite tires. The newer setup is a bit less race oriented and more of a trail bike.

My other recommendation would be the Jamis Dragon. Quite a nice bike out of the box but I always felt custom was the way to go if you had the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok . .. I've been looking at the Dragon . . . I think I would like to save some money for new shoes and shorts and stuff like that.

What about the Yeti ARC vs the Dragon?

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
Rocky Mountain

Rocky Mountain Blizzard, full bike.
Reynolds 853 Cromoly
2.0 kg / 4.4 lb (18.5"/22.8" tob tube) steel frame
Marzocchi MX Pro 105mm w/ ETA
Shimano XT Disc
Mavic XM 317 Disc rims on Shimano XT hubs
http://www.rocky-mountain.com/bikes/2005/steel/blizzard.aspx

this steel frame can last a life time and can be xc raced, just like a Jamis Dragon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
price on the blizzard? is it a fully bike?

how does it compare to the ARC and the Dragon?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Krafcik said:
Ok . .. I've been looking at the Dragon . . . I think I would like to save some money for new shoes and shorts and stuff like that.

What about the Yeti ARC vs the Dragon?
The Dragon is steel and therefore somewhat more compliant, the ARC is aluminum and although legendary, not compliant.

I think you should look at Ti hardtails built around 100mm forks. Check out Strong Frames, Titus, and I. F. bikes.

If you want exotic and all-mountain trail type of cool, get one of these... Dialled Bikes

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
Krafcik said:
price on the blizzard? is it a fully bike?

how does it compare to the ARC and the Dragon?
similar to the Dragon, preference would be matter of fit/sizing, componants spec'd, and price on them two full bikes.

ARC is sold as frame, and it's thin light (quality) aluminum frame...maybe a bit harsh on rough descends (where the real fun & speed happens) then a quality steel frame, and after few years of hard and rough trail riding one may began to hink about al. frame fatique life (most people never ever ride an al. bike that hard or for so long). ARC is fine for the a devoted Expert level xc racer that regularly stands on a podium, IMO, other wise go ride or race with premium steel ht.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Krafcik said:

Thank you very much.
If you been out of biking for a while, maybe it is worth to check out new FS bikes before making a decision? For a 26" I would not trade my AS-R for any hardtail.

If you are dead set on a hardtail - most definitely custom steel 29r with Reba or WB fork And custom build wheels. The most versatile buy you can get in a hardtail. Check 29r forum for suggestion on builders. You may fit it under $2500.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
SSteel said:
The Dragon is steel and therefore somewhat more compliant, the ARC is aluminum and although legendary, not compliant.
This statement is pure bullcrap. "Compliance" has less to do with material, but more with design. And what is "compliant" for one, is "noodly" for another.

Did you actually ride ARC? I did ride many a steel hardtail that are much less comfortable to ride then scanduim alloy ARC.

But the other coment is correct - ARC geometry and traits are more for racing IMHO.

As far as fatigue life goes - AL is no more prone to cracking long term when build properly. Steel has an advantage in that it can be actually repaired. There were fatigue tests of frames that had steel and Ti bike cracking far before Al frames. They make car suspension out of Al.

As I have already said here - if a hardtail, custom steel is the best deal me thinks. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will pick up a fs bike within a year after the hardtail. I'm in Texas right now, So I'm not worried about bombing down the mountain right now. I think the hardtail will help me become a better right before i get the fs

So far I'm thinking Steel is the Deal . . . Dragon or Blizzard.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Axe said:
This statement is pure bullcrap. "Compliance" has less to do with material, but more with design. And what is "compliant" for one, is "noodly" for another.

Did you actually ride ARC? I did ride many a steel hardtail that are much less comfortable to ride then scanduim alloy ARC.
I rode a 2001 or 2002 ARC and it felt way stiff to me. I doubt though that it was Scandium, I'm pretty sure they were just aluminum.
As to the "compliance crap"... dude, I have owned 13-14 bikes in the last decade and sample-ridden almost that many again. There IS a difference in materials, but it is not solely composite driven, a good 40-50% of the ride quality is inherent in the design/execution of the build.
Further my reference was not "all steel" but quality steel.

Too true about compliant for one is noodly for another. :p

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
SSteel said:
There IS a difference in materials, but it is not solely composite driven, a good 40-50% of the ride quality is inherent in the design/execution of the build.
Yes. That's exactly what I said. (I think)

SSteel said:
Further my reference was not "all steel" but quality steel.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Hm. Indeed current ARC is listed as 7005 alloy. I am pretty sure when I borrowed one from a friend to try out it had Sc alloy mentioned on a sticker. Speedgoat site lists Easton Scandium. Whatever. In the same tube size they ride ~same. I liked it. Still would take a steel 29r over any other hardtail though.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Krafcik said:
I will pick up a fs bike within a year after the hardtail. .
More reason to pick up a 29r. It will not overlap with you feature FS purchase. I now set my 29r with 42mm (narrowish) cyclocrossish tires, and that my fireroad/pavement/short-distance ride. And Burley D'Lite trailer towing. :) Adv. race - AS-R and Kokopelli. Very complimentary and a lot of fun.

Custom frame is another bonus. Get one from somebody like Rock Lobster, or Wily, or a bunch of other guys (look the 29r forum). Or just get a well outfitted Karate Monkey, and order custom frame (~3months wait) and move parts. Then keep the Monkey frame and slowly outfit it with a rigid fork and touring set-up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.