Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How was the climb up?
it was great! i did it faster than i have ever done it. i take sundevil way up to nighthawk up the connector to the fire road to the top then back down the same way. Do it all in an hour. gota try to do 45 mins next time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres an easier way to do it if you just take the fireroad up the whole way. but night hawk trail is closer to my house than the fire road.

·
Registered
888 Posts
We rode there this week. Usually we go up the fireroad and down miners loop then through lusardi & pq, but we switched it up and climbed miner's to the peak this time. The climb was a lot more interesting and it was actually pretty fun blasting down the fireroad at night. Here's what it looks like in the dark:

Attachments

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
I do Black Mtn. every Monday night around 6:30 or so. It's good fun...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've heard there really isn't much riding out there. Is it worth connecting to PQ? I ride PQ a lot and I've always wanted to connect it to black mountain, just heard there's not much out there besides fire road.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just riding up and down Black Mountain can be fun if you do Miners Loop and the Lilac singletrack but it's kind of short. It's better if you connect it to Lusardi Creek and PQ. Here's a few options:

9 mile loop (black mtn & miners):
Black Mtn Miners Loop by muscatcory at Garmin Connect - Details

15 mile loop (black mtn, lusardi & PQ):
Tunnels Black Mtn Miners Backwards by muscatcory at Garmin Connect - Details

28 mile loop (black mtn, lusardi, rsf, & pq):
Blackmtn_Lusardi_SanDigieto_longride by muscatcory at Garmin Connect - Details

·
IPA tester
1,330 Posts
Take the fire road up, down to miners loop and then back up, night hawk to east ridge
(HAB up) down east ridge to derailleur, down to the valley and back to to the parking lot off Carmel Valley Rd (and home for me)

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
When you take Nighthawk down from the main fireroad, you are heading the right way. Just look due east and you will see little black mountain. It has reminants of an old substation at the top. There is a trail that head up the hill. It is steep and you might have to HAB up it. Once you get over the top, it hook up with the ridge road/trail. Follow it south for about 1 mile. The first part is steep up and then the rest is down. At the very end of the trail, you will have to climb the last part. It is steep and loose but with practice you can do it.

**Important Derailleur Connector Description***

20 yards before the summit of the last hill (nothing left after it) you need to look for the Derailleur connector on your left. It shouldn't be hard to find but if you miss it, you wind up descending down the old fire road and it suck donkey balls. Derailleur is steep, narrow, and fun. We cleared it out last year and you should have no problem with the bush. It will dump you out in the big valley on the NE side of Black Mountain.

From there, you can follow the fire road that head west straight across the valley and climbs up close to the Miner's Ridge parking lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts