Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what top levers to mount extra on a Midge? I'd be using 287V's too. Prefer V pull. I know that canti pull works, but squishily.

Thanks!

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
The Paul levers are designed to work with canti`s or V brakes.Nice levers.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cloxxki said:
It's easy to get canti-pull top levers, not V. The Pauls don't seem to be on their website, or am I overlooking them?
Looks like Paul has stopped making the cross top levers. I do not blame him when the Tektros can be had for ~1/3 the price.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best top levers I know were also my first : Empella CNC. Stiff and efficient in all ways.

Is it worth considering using regular V levers on the tops, activating seperate brakes?
Yes, I'm used to Tektro levers (still overpriced IMO) with V-brakes, the mushy but powerful braking, but for this build I'd like to feel a contact point.
Or are any BMX or V levers known to be easily home-converted to top lever style?

Also, would a double tape wrap be worth trying? I've got large hands, and haven't tried it on my "normal" drop bars yet. Any experiences?

Going to Avid Road discs (so canti pull top levers work nicer) is an option, but very expensive one, for what is a budget commuter build. If I am to go discs, I'm plannning to try the Shimano 495 mechanicals, which can be had without rotors or cables for €31.50 each. If those came in canti pull, the whole build would be a lot cheaper and easier.

Canti pull brakes :
- need expensive Avid disc calipers (I hate canti's, and will be running fatties, so no mini-V's.
- can use "cheap" but overpriced Tektro tops
- have Shimano main road levers in the parts bin, even some STI's.

V pull brakes :
- Can used V's from the parts bin
- Need expensive 287V levers, or cannibalize my Cross-Check badly
- Live with mushy top levers, or craft something myself (I'm not much of a fabricator)

Oh, the dilemma!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Avid Roads

I'm running avid road discs with Cane Creek bar tops on my Sutra. I was unimpressed with the brakes at first, talked to the tech guys at speedgoat and they recommended going with a mountain mechanical disc and a travel adapter (problem solvers adjustable travel agent) to fix the difference between using a vbrake lever compatable brake with a road lever. something to consider, though a bit costly I'm sure. On the plus side I found that the avid road discs worked fine once broken in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.