Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Whatever the challenges, tiny wheels and looking good, are not gonna help you".

It goes on with more explanations why you want big wheels on a bike.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Challenge was to cross Vietnam on a motorbike, to be bought for 15 million of the local currency, some $1000, but a shoe box full of cash.
If their cheaply bought used bikes would break down, they could continue their 1000-mile journey on the back-up bike.
Painted in all stars and stripes, multi-flagged machine, with a stereo continously and loudly playing Born in the USA, as long as the motor was running.
Oddly, neither of them were keen on riding the fine, new, American bike, through that wonderfully beautiful country.

Quite a funny show, if you ask me.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Quite possibly my favorite show. I have to download torrents of it just to see the current season as BBC America is a year behind when it comes to Top Gear.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that episode this past week.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it daring how they did a 73 minute show, and not mention cars. Just a bit over the edge, more comedy than motoring. Not pleasing any potential sponsors, not showing anything resembling manly speed or V8+ noise.
I don't even have a TV right now, so also doing the torrent thing. I get this, and Grey's Anatomy. I don't have a car or a functioning MTB either, so there's that.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Top Gear isn’t paid for by sponsors, in the UK you have to pay for a TV licence which gives you the standard 5 channels, BBC 1&2, ITV, Channel 4 and Five. The money from the TV licence pays for the BBC and ITV to make their programs whereas Channel 4 and Five need adverts between programs and sponsors for some of the programs too. After that you have to pay up to get a digital box and some providers like Sky bleed your bank account even more with monthly payments, Sky does give you 999 channels and about 250 radio stations though…:p

The show is filmed only a few miles away from me, every now and then I ride past Dunsfold Aerodrome but I’ve never managed to catch a car going round the track. Last weeks episode was very funny, that American flag motorbike was phucking hilarious…:thumbsup:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I sortof knew about the way they get money, being a public broadcaster. BBC makes loads more money by selling the show to like 100+ other countries. In Holland we love it too.
The coolness of Top Gear is in a league by itself. Their budgets also. The way they stuck a "car" on a self-made Space Shuttle, that seems to do better than the original. Trashing precious collector's item cars by dropping piano's on them. Getting cars from loyal viewers in order to set a lap on the track (Ferrari Enzo?), it goes on and on.
Their three characters and comedy are just a bit too much, but I keep watching it. They do do it well.

Having seen this episode, I now know how to time my friendly gifts to fellow racers, and how to size those gifts :)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
...thanks for the heads up... i apparently don't have that episode yet... but it's up on finalgear DLing it now :)... should be able to watch it in about 30 min.

i've loved top gear for years... prob the best ones are the "caravan holiday" and them rolling though the US... they actually drove RIGHT though one of the townships I delivered pizza in (bagdad... where they stopped to paint each others cars)... no other show can get me rolling laughing like they can...

side note... anyone from the US gotten to where they're occasionally using brit slang thanks to this show?

the Australian version isn't nearly as good.. and the proposed US version is most likely going to suck balls... if it ever happens...

and lastly... didn't know thats how the TV worked in the UK... i know we didn't have much for stations while in germany back in the 80s'... but that would explain why the TV isn't near the center of attention like it is in the US...

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Best line ever from that show was Jeremy threatening to go to someones house and "Bone your dog." I think he meant he would remove the dogs skeleton leaving a mass of useless flesh but on this side of the pond it is taken a totally different way. I love that show.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I so want to start using "oh cock", but without a proper British accent, I will only sound like an arse attempting a rather rubbish impersonation.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
If ever you get to watch the Australian version of Top Gear......... DONT its shocking. I gave up watching it was that bad.
by car show standards it's not horrid... more palatable then most of what you get over this way (the saturday morning drool or even worse the crap on speed)... but compared to TG classic it sucks donkey balls

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I loved their Alfa challenge. I had a GTV back in the early '90s and it was just as bad as they made it out to be. Goofy lot.

·
The White Jeff W
5,714 Posts
African Stig and American Stig had me on my arse! :lol: And then there's this :lol: :lol:

side note... anyone from the US gotten to where they're occasionally using brit slang thanks to this show?
Thanks to Top Gear and Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares I sometimes catch myself calling parts 'bits' and throwing trash in the 'bin'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
madcap said:
Quite possibly my favorite show. I have to download torrents of it just to see the current season as BBC America is a year behind when it comes to Top Gear.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that episode this past week.
How do you download torrents? What does that mean? Please excuse my ignorance...I am a HUGE TG fan!! In fact my family gathers 'round the Tv when it's on!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
...do you ever grab a spanner?.... :) and yes the bits is a good one to use it's so versatile.

i wish they'd do the show more often.

side note... it's funny to watch the 1st few seasons... they came a LONG ways in the 1st 3 seasons... i think 4th was that real corner for em... also compare the crowds... so few people the 1st seasons... there are people everywhere on the show now...

is there some correspondence to older guys into MTB and car guys?.... i've known a ton of gear heads that are into riding...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cloxxki, you need to move your satellite dish to the Astra satellite and pick up the free channel, Dave, which shows repeats of TG for half the day every day. Sure it will work from Holland.

·
The White Jeff W
5,714 Posts
donalson said:

is there some correspondence to older guys into MTB and car guys?.... i've known a ton of gear heads that are into riding...
Wrenching on my bike appeals to the hot rodder in me. I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned just to make it unique. I haul my MTB in a Dodge Dakota riding on Hotchkis suspension. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.