Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to compare a Top Fuel with a Spur, Epic Evo or other so-called downcountry bikes? Any thoughts you can share?

Thanks

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
I own the TF and have ridden the Spur. The TF is closer, IMO, to the XC end of the downcountry spectrum and the Spur is closer to a trail bike. The Spur is amazing going downhill but, I prefer my TF climbing and on the flats and it is pretty decent on the steeps at my descending speeds. I had it when I lived in Northern Italy and rode some super techy, rough stuff there. It handled it well. Had the Spur been available then, I may have preferred it there...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Reach is much better on the Transition Spur--it's OK on the Top Fuel and Epic EVO, but could be better. Other bikes in the class of the Spur: Norco Revolver, Mondraker F-Podium.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Reach is much better on the Transition Spur--it's OK on the Top Fuel and Epic EVO, but could be better. Other bikes in the class of the Spur: Norco Revolver, Mondraker F-Podium.
It's a shame you can't really size the trek just by reach. Their obsession with long seat tubes prevents you doing that.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thankfully there is a brand still making bikes like the top fuel that have “normal” reach #’s rather than chasing trends like everyone else. Dont get me wrong, long, low, & slack work for many places, but here in the upper Great Lakes region, it’s a terrible geometry choice.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I own the TF and have ridden the Spur. The TF is closer, IMO, to the XC end of the downcountry spectrum and the Spur is closer to a trail bike.
Agree. TF is a long-ish travel xc race bike. Spur is a short travel trail bike. Two different approaches.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Excellent review. Noticed he mentioned how well the Spur corners (he actually took the KOM on a section of trail while testing it). Long, low and slack bikes perform better on the flats and twisties than shorter old-school XC bikes, not just on the descents.

Jeff Brines does a lovely comparison of the Spur to the new Top Fuel he's had a bunch of time on:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts