Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if I could get the rear end to be a little more supple so I measured and ordered the tool and needle bearing kit from real world cycling. Have not had a chance to ride the bike in anger yet, but the driveway and curb tests seem to show it was a good investment. Part number for the needle kit below. You will also at a minimum need the install tool.

NBKRWC40
Green install tool. Purple tool not needed

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Very nice. That pivot sees a lot of rotation.

My "install tool" for things like that has always been a vise that opens widely, combined with various sockets (deep and shallow).

Think that would work, or is the tool a must?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok got my first ride in on it today. Wow....Best upgrade I have made to the bike. The best way I can describe it is the rear shock with the compression switch flipped on feels a little stiffer than with what it felt like before the bushings were installed with the shock run wide open.

With the shock and needle bearings run with shock in open position it rides like it has another 10mm travel and way better square edge and small bump compliance. If you own a 2019 / 2020 top fuel this needs to be your first upgrade.

As far as the tool goes you could use a socket but I wouldn't recommend it because the needle rollers are held in with grease only. If you install it without a tool run through the middle the needles will fall out. You could always find them and reinstall them but I would rather just save 30 minutes of my life and get the tool.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
As far as the tool goes you could use a socket but I wouldn't recommend it because the needle rollers are held in with grease only. If you install it without a tool run through the middle the needles will fall out. You could always find them and reinstall them but I would rather just save 30 minutes of my life and get the tool.
Great answer. Thanks. Sounds like the tool is totally worth it.

This might make me love -- instead of like -- the bike. As it sits, I'd really ride my FEX, which -- wait for it -- has bearings in that pivot, and just "hangs" so much less. Who'd have guessed?!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the cheapest upgrade you can buy with the most upside. Let me know if you need help installing. Getting the lockout reattached was a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I didn't even know they existed! What measurements are needed If I want to search for an equivalent available in Europe? (I've found Amachete.com is suggested as retailer for Europe)

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
Has anyone tried these needle bearings on a Fuel EX? I have a 2017 with the full-floater, so not sure it this set-up applies or not. I am about to install an new DPX2 and will have the stock Re-Aktiv off, so now would be the time to add these. Any feedback?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Has anyone tried these needle bearings on a Fuel EX? I have a 2017 with the full-floater, so not sure it this set-up applies or not. I am about to install an new DPX2 and will have the stock Re-Aktiv off, so now would be the time to add these. Any feedback?
The Fuel EX has bearings on the rocker pivot itself, so I'm not sure anything significant would be gained by these bearings?

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
Yeah, I realized this after the post. I had also heard from Chris over at RWC and he said the same. I am looking into a full frame pivot kit for the frame as I think the stock Trek bearings are no where as good as the Enduro "Max" bearings included with their kit. I know the stock Fuel EX lower pivot bearings are notorious for seizing up in short order.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I am looking into a full frame pivot kit for the frame as I think the stock Trek bearings are no where as good as the Enduro "Max" bearings included with their kit.
I have a bit of the OCD engineer thing, so.......I pop the little seals off all the suspension bearings when I get a new bike and pack them full of high quality grease before I ever ride the bike. Seems to work. My "grease" of choice is Dumonde liquid grease (blue stuff that I've had forever).

But there is no denying the quality of Enduro Max bearings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am assuming this is the green install tool?

Anyone recommend a good quality press tool that is shown in the picture attached to the green install tool?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

i have a 2020 9.8 gx and just now put on a enduro needle bearings in the rear shox. What a big difference, small bump feels already way better. Putting it to a real test this weekend. I live in holland and bought it at bike24.com for people living in europe and looking for the needle bearing kitt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello

i have a 2020 9.8 gx and just now put on a enduro needle bearings in the rear shox. What a big difference, small bump feels already way better. Putting it to a real test this weekend. I live in holland and bought it at bike24.com for people living in europe and looking for the needle bearing kitt.
Thanks, did you have to use an installation tool? Which?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

you could use a tool but i work in a car garage so i have plenty of tools there to mount the bearing in the shox. If you have the right sockets and a good vice you can get them installed. I don,t know if bike24 has the right tools for this. This is the link for the bearing set, you will need the 39.98mm set.

hope this helps

grts dennis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts