Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the current cross country Top Fuel 9.9 (2015-2019), not the upcoming trail bike version, and I had a thought about the rear shock.

I am not completely pleased with the fox float DPS ReActiv shock. I actually love the damper running wide open 24-7, and I removed the completely laughable lockout cable and lever. I find that at the fox/trek recommended pressure I do not bottom out the rear, but it is way too harsh for small bump compliance. When I lower it to where it is comfortable for small bump compliance, then I tend to bottom it out. Obviously the simple solution here is to add as many volume spacers as is possible to allow it to ramp up faster and keep the air pressure lower.

However I had a different thought: would it be possible to run an EVOL rear shock canister on to increase the negative air spring volume? This would help small bump compliance and allow it to act in a little more linear way I think. Has anyone tried fitting an EVOL air canister 6.5x1.5 shock to this bike? Just eyeballing it I don't see why it would not fit, is my logic sound here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the current cross country Top Fuel 9.9 (2015-2019), not the upcoming trail bike version, and I had a thought about the rear shock.

I am not completely pleased with the fox float DPS ReActiv shock. I actually love the damper running wide open 24-7, and I removed the completely laughable lockout cable and lever. I find that at the fox/trek recommended pressure I do not bottom out the rear, but it is way too harsh for small bump compliance. When I lower it to where it is comfortable for small bump compliance, then I tend to bottom it out. Obviously the simple solution here is to add as many volume spacers as is possible to allow it to ramp up faster and keep the air pressure lower.

However I had a different thought: would it be possible to run an EVOL rear shock canister on to increase the negative air spring volume? This would help small bump compliance and allow it to act in a little more linear way I think. Has anyone tried fitting an EVOL air canister 6.5x1.5 shock to this bike? Just eyeballing it I don't see why it would not fit, is my logic sound here?
My 19 9.9 has an Evol so would assume it would work.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that's what I thought. Any complaints with that setup?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Great, that's what I thought. Any complaints with that setup?
I have 2019 EVOL that I put on my 2017 that I ordered directly from Trek......BUT the shock that comes from Trek is not just typical Fox 6.5x1.5 shock because it is 6.5x1.5 with trunion mount which trunion is typically a metric size. ALSO, the shock that comes from Trek is compatible with a push to unlock remote so you have to have lock out engaged to get suspension to move. You can't just remove lockout and let be as the shock would be locked out. You maybe could send it back to fox and have them change the new shock from remote to 3 position lever and then you could leave it open all the time? Not sure though

I went through all of this when I bought a 2019 fox fork which was push-to-unlock technology and tried to install it but didnt realize until it was installed that the fork was locked out while shock was open and vice versa. I had already sold the fork so I had to ditch the old reaktiv shock and upgrade to evol just because of the push to unlock crap. Works great, but the push to unlock is just a stupid idea in my opinion

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, yes the push to unlock design is flawed but even moreso when combined with a push to lock fork. Fortunately I converted my fork to crown lock, and my 2018 Float is push to lock so I'm good there. I think if I get the correct EVOL air can I'm good to go, but I'm wondering if that's the air can for a traditional 6.5x1.5 (806-29-598-KIT) or one from the trunion metric 6.5 shock which is a bit longer stroke but perhaps shortened to 38mm (806-29-590-KIT).

Or just pull one off a snapped Top Fuel frame next time one of my buddies kills one again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts