Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh boy. Here we go again.

And once again, everyone will get all lathered up and send a stream of angry e-mails
to the paper. Then they will tell everyone they know and urge THEM to send e-mails
to the paper. And then this jack*ss will get a huge bonus and a pat on the back from
his employer for getting their advertisers so many hits. And then this guy will continue to
spew this sort of cr*p.

PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK. He's trolling, and every hit he gets on that
article helps his paycheck.

ZB

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
Whoops! Too late!

brewSSard said:
PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK. He's trolling, and every hit he gets on that
article helps his paycheck.

ZB
My response:
"To quote your article "Put it this way: Williams could peddle a bicycle for a couple hours in the Tour de France but Armstrong couldn't survive a single hit in the NFL." Correction: cyclists pedal, not peddle. Well, if their job is in sales then I suppose they do both.

And as to the content of the quote, you are somewhat correct in your assumption. Williams could easily pedal a couple of hours in the Tour, and Lance would probably get injured trying to take a pro lineman's hit. But neither could return Andre Agassi's serve, or stay upright for more than a few seconds on the pro surfing circuit, or have the courage to hang onto the wheel of a top-fuel dragster, or have a faintest hope of surviving a shift in the NHL, and both would look pretty foolish in a game of one-on-one with Rodman.

Just because he and the other very skinny guys that get paid to ride bicycles aren't 6'-3" and 250, and aren't huge superhuman muscle-bound machines, doesn't mean they aren't athletes. I would define an athlete as one who must use their body to manipulate or power either itself or a machine or tool to do something sporting that an average person (even one trained to do so) cannot reasonably do. I'd argue that said persons must usually be able to maintain that activity during periods of intense duress and/or endurance.Therefore basketball players are athletes. So are football players, baseball (I'll even give that one grudgingly) players, soccer, tennis, hockey, skiers, and yes, even cyclists. Golfers and car/motorcycle/boat racers, fishermen and hunters and such are not athletes according to my logic. They may be really really good at what they do, and it may involve some physical activity, but what they do does not for the most part require anywhere NEAR the conditioning and actual physical capability of true athletes. Yeah, I know pro motocross riders are exceedingly fit, but their power comes from that gas-powered engine between their legs - they're just along for the ride. And I am not suggesting for a moment that I or any other mere mortal can just hop on board and do what those top racers or golfers can do. Nor can I survive a hit from a lineman, or a mere portion of one of the stages of the Tour de France.

You also said "But I'm sorry ... neither makes [Armstrong] more athletic than an NFL running back." True again. But it sure doesn't make him LESS athletic, either.

·
Crazy Dutch Bastard
87 Posts
Top Athletes don't ride bicycles...

...and top journalists don't write sports columns.
It's not the first time I read sh%t like this. Whatever. I don't care what this guy and the rest of the Couch Potato Brigade thinks. I guess it makes him feel better about his flabby ass, but it's clear that he has neither played football not ridden a bike.

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
What's the point of that article? To discredit Lance's accomplishments? I wonder if that guy has even ridden a bike (without training wheels). Comparing cycling to the NFL is ludicrous (thanks Tyson). They both require great amounts of physical strength and endurance but it's hard to compare the two. I think most non-cyclists don't comprehend how freaking insanely hard it is to ride 2,000+ miles in the heat, up mountains, at an unrelenting pace, for 23 days with only 2 days of rest. I can't even maintain 22 MPH for an hour and these guys are exceeding that for entire stages! I have respect for athletes in almost every discipline (except baseball - sorry), but trying to compare two of them is impossible. Maybe if a soccer, er, I mean futbol player played a match every day for 23 days, then that might come close.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
OMG! what a clown. I love the part about maybe Williams will try the TDF and win it just for the heck of it. He's not trying to put cyclists into a frenzy, he is just printing what his fat, brawt-eating, still living in high school, soft ball playing, hunting, fishing, brain-washed audience(and himself) wants to hear. I bet he actually believes that BS

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
What a dipsh!t

Dijridoo said:
My response:
"To quote your article "Put it this way: Williams could peddle a bicycle for a couple hours in the Tour de France but Armstrong couldn't survive a single hit in the NFL." Correction: cyclists pedal, not peddle. Well, if their job is in sales then I suppose they do both.

And as to the content of the quote, you are somewhat correct in your assumption. Williams could easily pedal a couple of hours in the Tour, and Lance would probably get injured trying to take a pro lineman's hit. But neither could return Andre Agassi's serve, or stay upright for more than a few seconds on the pro surfing circuit, or have the courage to hang onto the wheel of a top-fuel dragster, or have a faintest hope of surviving a shift in the NHL, and both would look pretty foolish in a game of one-on-one with Rodman.

Just because he and the other very skinny guys that get paid to ride bicycles aren't 6'-3" and 250, and aren't huge superhuman muscle-bound machines, doesn't mean they aren't athletes. I would define an athlete as one who must use their body to manipulate or power either itself or a machine or tool to do something sporting that an average person (even one trained to do so) cannot reasonably do. I'd argue that said persons must usually be able to maintain that activity during periods of intense duress and/or endurance.Therefore basketball players are athletes. So are football players, baseball (I'll even give that one grudgingly) players, soccer, tennis, hockey, skiers, and yes, even cyclists. Golfers and car/motorcycle/boat racers, fishermen and hunters and such are not athletes according to my logic. They may be really really good at what they do, and it may involve some physical activity, but what they do does not for the most part require anywhere NEAR the conditioning and actual physical capability of true athletes. Yeah, I know pro motocross riders are exceedingly fit, but their power comes from that gas-powered engine between their legs - they're just along for the ride. And I am not suggesting for a moment that I or any other mere mortal can just hop on board and do what those top racers or golfers can do. Nor can I survive a hit from a lineman, or a mere portion of one of the stages of the Tour de France.

You also said "But I'm sorry ... neither makes [Armstrong] more athletic than an NFL running back." True again. But it sure doesn't make him LESS athletic, either.
Good points. And to follow this moron's logic, anybody participating in the following sports would also not be considered great "athletes" because they probably could not survive a down as a runningback in the NFL:

Many ice hockey players
Soccer players
Sprinters
Long distance runners
Swimmers
Gymnasts
Rowers
etc etc...

In the pecking order of "freaks of nature", the NFL definitely ranks at the top. To surve in that game you have to be BIG, STRONG, FAST, and excessivly tolerant of a LOT of pain. No other sport requires such physical endurance, strength, courage, and coordination. I will concede that much.

But to call anybody who cannot compete in the NFL a non-athelete? That's nonsense! I would dare ANYBODY in the NFL to challenge the worlds great runners in a marathon, 2-mile swim, 100 mile bike race, etc.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
450 Posts
The funny thing about these articles is that they, by using their own logic, you can cast certain people in the sports they laud as non-atheletes. Baseball, for example...is a relief pitcher an athelete? All he does is stand on the mound for a few innings and throws a ball really hard. If there is a designated hitter, he doesn't even have to go to bat! Yeah, he might have to make a defensive play, but there's also a good chance he'll spend his entire game standing in one spot. Okay, what about football? Place kickers...are they atheletes? And linebackers? Are you going to tell me that William "the Refridgerator" Perry was an athelete and Lance isn't?

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Yaaaawwwwwnnnn!!!!

Once again, a flame-baiting "activity x is not a sport" (x=cycling in this case) commentary. There was another one a couple of years ago too written by another one of those pale, nerdy sports columnists about Lance Armstrong not being an athlete. Might even be the same dweeb recycling an old article. From the quotes, the wording sounds similar (I didn't bother to read it). Laugh, and move on, people. D.

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
He doesn't even have any logical arguments to his point. I mean, it's one thing if he believes what he does and gives some thought out reasons for it, but he has none.

His definition of "athlete" seems to be some vague notion of "carrying a football and getting hit by linebackers". Yes it takes athleticism, speed, balance, and eye/hand/feet coordination to play football, about as much as it takes to handle a bike in a 100 bike peloton.

Maybe if the TDF was done on stationary bikes, he'd actually have a point.

The least he could've done is actually call up some NFL running backs and ASK THEM if they think Lance is an athlete. But I guess it's understandable that Ricky Williams doesn't return his calls.

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
Ah hahahahaahha...

I looked at his picture and just laughed. What does this tool know about being an athlete or what an athlete should be? He sits there behind his desk spouting BS... all the while being too lazy to be "chauffeured around in a Porsche".

And how is taking punishment from tackles or taking punishment from the cardio of cycling different?

It makes me want to send him e-mails of my boot photoshopped into his a$$... but you're right I'd rather not encourage the oaf.

·
Registered
50 Posts
He's just a second rate writer for a two bit rag. It's a suburban newspaper one step above high school. I pick up the Daily Herald once in a while on my way to work for a good chuckle. I read it for the crime reports and the classified ads. There isn't much excitment in the NW 'burbs of Chicago.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Imrem is an A$$

kitchenware said:
LOL. Go back and read the article and the above posts to figure out WTH we're talking about. Or are you just trying to bait someone?
The article started off with this "[w]hat this started me thinking about again is the claim Armstrong is the world's greatest athlete. I have said this before: Even if Armstrong is the world's most dominant athlete ever, he's nowhere near the world's greatest athlete".

I guess I could have jumped in too and added that this Imrem guy is an ass, but we all know that already.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.