Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

TOP 10 steepest streets in SF...on unicycle!

885 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Rev Bubba
This was the most difficult unicycling challenge I've ever attempted, and definitely a personal record for me. The climbs ranged from 31% to a seemingly impossible 41% grade! After just the very first climb, I think it was mostly sheer will power and adrenaline that kept me going! There's a pretty good chance that you will "feel my pain" watching this video...馃憤馃檪
PS: Will be attempting to climb Eldred street in Los Angeles this weekend.
Reactions: 5
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
That is steeeeeeeep!!! I'm amazed that you've stuck with unicycling over the years. I was big into muni back in the early 2000's and after 3 or 4 years, I went back to bikes.
Reactions: 1
Same here. rode muni for a decade, then went back to bikes.

It's a great sport and it was fun, but I like suspension, going fast, and getting air.

Way to go Terri, still at it after all thee years .. are you almost seventy now?
it looks like you really have to go pee...
That is steeeeeeeep!!! I'm amazed that you've stuck with unicycling over the years. I was big into muni back in the early 2000's and after 3 or 4 years, I went back to bikes.
Thanks Mojoe!
it looks like you really have to go pee...
馃槅
That was awesome!
Thanks BujiBiker!
Same here. rode muni for a decade, then went back to bikes.

It's a great sport and it was fun, but I like suspension, going fast, and getting air.

Way to go Terri, still at it after all thee years .. are you almost seventy now?
Thanks! Haha, still 5 years to go before 70. 馃榾
This morning I drove to Mount Washington, Los Angeles to try climbing Eldred st., which is classified as the #1 steepest street in California. At 33.3% grade and 412 ft length, it's significantly longer than the longest/steepest street in San Francisco, which has much steeper streets, but they're not as long. Eldred Street was built in 1912, and doesn't look like it's been repaired or repaved for decades. It's crumbling, uneven, with potholes everywhere, and fairly narrow so there are not many opportunities to zig zag which would help in avoiding holes and such. I made it about 3/4 the way up and couldn't avoid a particularly deep pothole which threw me off. I tried it again but hit a different pothole with the same result! But glad I tried it! Btw, at 32% grade, Fargo is a very close second but it's even longer at close to 500 feet, but seems much easier because it's wider and smoother.
See less See more
This was the most difficult unicycling challenge I've ever attempted, and definitely a personal record for me. The climbs ranged from 31% to a seemingly impossible 41% grade! After just the very first climb, I think it was mostly sheer will power and adrenaline that kept me going! There's a pretty good chance that you will "feel my pain" watching this video...馃憤馃檪
PS: Will be attempting to climb Eldred street in Los Angeles this weekend.
A long time ago (15 years?) I saw someone ride down Lombard Street in San Francisco on a unicycle. I was awestruck. Then they rode up Lombard Street on a unicycle. I still have that image in my mind.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.