Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I will be tooling around Oregon for 2 weeks in August and are looking for great places to ride.
Our rough itinerary looks like this: From Portland, west to the coast, south to Florence, east to Eugene, and continuing on to the McKenzie River trail. North to Hood River (mostly for WW kayaking, but would like to get a ride or two in there as well).

We're including McKenzie trail, simply based on feedback, but are wondering if there are other places that we shouldn't miss along the way.

About us. Both advanced riders with 15 years on the saddle. We're used to the gnarly rock gardens and root infested trails of the northeast so technical is OK by us. (Galbraith Mt in WA is her favorite ride thus far) On this trip, scenery is high on my wife's wish list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
With that itinerary, I would try to bag Middle Fork Willamette out of Oakridge (IMO, superior and fairly similar to Mackenzie River Trail -- which you should still do).

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
I'm not sure when in August you're coming, but the North Fork/Flagline loop near Bend opens up to riders on August 15th. It is closed until then for elk calving season. It is truly a must do ride in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Waldo Lake is my favorite Cascades ride. If your coming to Florence, OR I'd recommend Cape Mt.(17 miles of singletrack with awesome ocean views) or Cummins Creek/Cape Perpetua(long steep climb rooty old growth decent).

·
ride the moment
1,061 Posts
I would recommend spending a couple days (if not three or four) in the Oakridge area. I've heard numbers between 300 and 500 miles of singletrack. I honestly don't know how many there are but its a lot and its all pretty premium. The people at the local bike shop and the Trailhead Cafe have lots of trail info. You can also check out the Mountain Bike Oregon posts and website to get an idea about the area. I think one of the MBO events is the second weekend in august actually. Have a great trip!

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Lots of options

I would avoid the Hood River area. The area is full of rattlesnakes, ticks, and poison oak ;). I have ridden a few trails in Oakridge and MRT. I like the Oakridge area pretty well but found MRT kind of a snooze. Nonetheless, it is pretty and up to a 50+ ride. Some of the trails around Hood are very nice: Dog River, Surveyors, and Knebal Springs are good. They do get dusty in the mid-to-late summer.

Have fun.

Jaybo

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,707 Posts
Oakridge is the place

McKenzie River Trail is nice but much of it is virtually a path. That said, the lava section (Blue Pool/Tamolitch Falls) is awesome and techy. If you decide to do it, go mid-week to avoid this popular-with-the-hikers-on-the-weekend trail.

The Oakridge area has more trails to select from. Middle Fork Trail follows the MF Willamette River for ~35 miles from Timpanogas Lake to Hill Creek Lake and is more "raw" than MRT. It's a local fav.

Plus check out Larison Creek Trail, also on Hills Cr. Lake. It's kinda techy. The Alpine Trail is considered Oakridge's jewel, but if you really want the goods, take Alpine to Tire Mtn. Trail to Winberry Divide, then drop off WD Ridge on either Winberry Tie (north slope) or North Shore Tie (south slope) trails. Call Oregon Adventures in Oakridge to arrange shuttles.

A few other Oakridge area offerings:
Larison Rock Tr.
Salmon Creek
Waldo Lake (awesome)
Flat Creek
Moon Point
Cloverpatch
Bunchgrass
Maiden Peak
Twins
I could go on...

Stay a week or two, you won't run out.

--Sparty

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I'd second Waldo, and also the recommendation to do MRT on a weekday.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
In no particular order (and all except NUT are Oakridge area):
Heckletooth/Bunchgrass
top of Alpine/Tire Mt./Clover Patch (did it today...)
Middle Fork (blows MRT away riding wise)
North Umpua Trail
Winberry

Brock...

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
If scenery is high on your wifes list a trip to Mt St Helens would be the place to go. The Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham is a must, it's not in Oregon but only a short drive from Portland and it's probably some of the best scenery you'll see from a bike in the PNW.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
+ 1 for St. Helens. Technically it's not in OR, but if I was visiting from out of the area I wouldn't miss it. It's one of the more unique rides in the country.

OldHouseMan said:
If scenery is high on your wifes list a trip to Mt St Helens would be the place to go. The Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham is a must, it's not in Oregon but only a short drive from Portland and it's probably some of the best scenery you'll see from a bike in the PNW.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
wetting the whistle...

Just to wet the whistle a bit...

Mt. Adams from the top of Ape Canyon Trail, SE slope of Mt. St. Helens-

Upper midway on the Smith Creek Trail, East slope Mt. St. Helens-

Pretty damn sweet view from the Alpine Trail, Oakridge, OR-

I too would highly suggest the MFW trail outside Oakridge. Somewhere in the range of 30mi (one way) and one heck of a hoot to ride. The first 10mi or so should be illegal! Not really, it's just that it's sooooo much fun! Unless you're super-human you'll need to shuttle it. The MRT is a much easier ride (as already stated) but definitely has some incredible scenery and IMO is very worthy of a "OR must-ride" list. A shuttle from Clear Lake and riding down clocks in around 25mi. The upper sections around the north side of the lake are pretty technical. In any case, I hope this helps a bit :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Based on your schedule at the coast Cummins Creek/Cape Perpetua has lots of good riding and just south of Waldport. Also just north of Florecnce is Herman Peak Trails which isn't all that techincal but has good flow to it.

On the way back to Eugene via Hwy. 126 the Sweet Creek area is just South of Mapleton and has some really good rdes but is't long.

Eugene/Oakridge in no order....Alpine to Tire Mt. to Winberry to N. Shore is one of my favorite. I like the Middle Fork becuase it is more techincal then MRT (except for the upper lava sections around clear lake). If you both are advanced riders with 15+ years you can park at Deer Creek and ride In/Out for MRT and at Paddy's Valley and ride In/Out for MFR, then you get the best areas of each and not have to shuttle. Honestly, North Umpqua and the Upper Rouge are both much better then those two trails as a whole, just much harder to access with long car rides from Eugene or Roseburg. South Will./Eagles/Hardesty/Lawler has great riding when it is dry enough and it is only 20 miles east of Eugene. Lower Bunchgrass is great, don't waste you time on the upper Bunchgrass that time of year. It will be dry and the bunchgrass will have destoyed the trail by the time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you!!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Thanks so much for the beta (and awesome pics). Looks like we'll be out there from 8/9 to 8/23. If anyone wants to meet up for a ride (and post ride brews on me), just shoot me an email. We are truely grateful and will definately hit trails mentioned on our way. Nice to see there's some riding on the coast since that was low on my list of things to do...but the wife loves the ocean and I aim to keep her happy. :D

Jaybo, I know HR is simply an awful place to visit, offers nothing in the way of paddling, or riding and continue to spread that fact back east. ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Home to Plaid Pantry and back is my favorite ride, but all the suggestions here are stellar (I am chomping at the bit for my first Surveyor/Knebal ride of the year). I know that it isn't in Oregon, but Whistler is heaven on two wheels (and it isn't just for freerdie anymore).

·
Registered
919 Posts
k1creeker said:
Jaybo, I know HR is simply an awful place to visit, offers nothing in the way of paddling, or riding and continue to spread that fact back east. ;)
We appreciate that. I came out from the right coast six years ago, and I now declare it full. He forgot to mention the mountain lions, the shite weather 11.5 months per year, and a few of the other locals that will hurt your feelings by ripping your legs off at a "conversational" pace. Yeah, it sucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.