Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
great thread
i've come down once to mountain bike in the past and it was awesome.
now i need to come again to try out some of the trails mentioned here.

·
Registered
535 Posts
By "underestimated" does the OP mean people often get in over their heads on these rides; or should it be read as "under-rated," meaning these rides are not recommended as often as they should be?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
By "underestimated" does the OP mean people often get in over their heads on these rides; or should it be read as "under-rated," meaning these rides are not recommended as often as they should be?
As in they are not in the guide books. You might be in over you head if you try to follow Chad's mileage.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Ripsey goodness did not disappoint! "Word" is that this ridge line section of the AZT is on the chopping block in favor of mining interests and that is a shame. Get out there and ride it while you still can...
ohhh man I hope not! Ive been trying to ride some of these rides(AZT segments) and have not done ripsey yet. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen, and quickly moving it up my AZT priority list!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went up (and down) trail 105 "Yeager" and I endod onto my face on a rock. Busted my Oakleys and split my eyebrow open. I thought it was very fitting.

Anyway, it is a pretty amazing area and trail, it would have been nice if I didn't fall on my face though :). I could see the fire burning off in the distance which was pretty sad.

This is how my bike landed, luckily the bush was there to catch it or it would be long gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a link to show where the trail heads are? I am currently in Afg. but will be living in AZ once I get back and don't know where to find these places. These trails look amazing and cant wait to get some saddle time when I get back!

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,321 Posts
ohhh man I hope not! Ive been trying to ride some of these rides(AZT segments) and have not done ripsey yet. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen, and quickly moving it up my AZT priority list!
Latest word is the main Ripsey ridgeline, i.e. the money shot, will still be around. The re-route is looking like it will peel off somewhere before the switchback attack section - the main steep(er) descent into the Kelvin TH. I'd highly encourage anyone still on the fence re: Ripsey to get out there & ride it as it is. You can make a 20-ish mile loop from the Kelvin TH to keep it short. So many good possibililties out there, seems like Ive been doing a new Ripsey ride each time I venture out there. Great place for a bikepack as well.

Including the honorable mention of #11, I'm now up to 9.5/11 complete. Red Ridge, I'm coming for you!! (and a full exploration of Area52!!)

As for finding trailheads, aztrail.org for the AZT rides & google. Plenty of info out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah, i've been meaning to ride ripsey...just hasnt happened yet. i'd reckon its a bit warm now, yeah? when are the trail changes gonna happen, anybody know?

as for red ridge, i say go for it. most around here (i'm in tucson) would say CDO is better (and in good shape now).

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,321 Posts
Personally, I'd still do a Ripsey loop. A shorter variety and start super early. Probably wouldn't go solo as it's very remote & more than likely you won't see a soul out there should things go south. Expect some HAB. Timetable is uncertain, but it doesn't look like anything is imminent.

I'd like to hit CDO too, I'm sure I'll do both as a loop, climbing the control road. I would think early fall would be a fine time to tackle that route.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Freeskier, thanks for info. I think I'll wait til fall. I tend to ride solo mostly, but would probably want to hook up with someone due to the mentioned remoteness. That coordination has been primary stumbling block to exploring the gila area. And yeah, I'm stoked to hit up area 52 as well

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Is there a link to show where the trail heads are? I am currently in Afg. but will be living in AZ once I get back and don't know where to find these places. These trails look amazing and cant wait to get some saddle time when I get back!
Most of these are on this site under trail reviews. Otherwise I'm sure they are on strava.

·
∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
156 Posts
Just download the "MTB Project" App on your cell phone.

It displays a map of all the trails in your local area… It's set up so that you can use your GPS and literally pin point your exact location at all times while on these trails. I can't tell you how many times this App has save me from making wrong turns at forks and 4 way intersections.

I live on the S/W side of Tucson so I hit Robles, Starpass, Brown Mountain, Fantasy Island, and quite a few other trails all the time.

I try and hit these trails every other morning…. so 3-4 times a week.

If anyone else is ever interested in riding these trails and are in the area, hit me up.

I'm always down for a good ride in the saguaros :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I can't tell you how many times this App has save me from making wrong turns at forks and 4 way intersections.

...Robles, Starpass [sic], Brown Mountain, Fantasy Island, and quite a few other trails all the time.
Wait. There really aren't any "wrong turns" in any of those systems. Everything is good!

81 - 98 of 98 Posts