Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you racing longer races and not wearing hydration packs how are you carrying tools, tubes, CO2, and so on? I raced the BT Epic, 56 miles, last year and wore a hydration pack that I also carried a spare tube, CO2, gels, and multi tool. This year I am racing some other races similar in length and am looking for alternative to the hydration pack.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
For those of you racing longer races and not wearing hydration packs how are you carrying tools, tubes, CO2, and so on? I raced the BT Epic, 56 miles, last year and wore a hydration pack that I also carried a spare tube, CO2, gels, and multi tool. This year I am racing some other races similar in length and am looking for alternative to the hydration pack.
I have a seat bag and a frame-mounted pump on my bikes all the time. Race day, not race day... that way if I have my bike I have the stuff I need to do basic repairs.

Like Magnum357 says, there are tape-on and strap-on solutions too. Slightly lighter, I guess they have the benefit of kind of showing you exactly what you have with you right now (my seat bag looks the same even if it has no tube in it because I used it and forgot to put in a replacement).

Dicky should post in this thread about awesome straps.

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

Those guys like, pay his house payment and stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a backcountry research tulbag and race strap.

You should be able to get away with the following at a race or a long ride. I carry a BR Tulbag with:
- one tire lever
- two CO2 cartridges
- inflator head for CO2
- the side off of a tube box to use as a tire boot.
- presta->schrader adapter
- rolled up, small amount of duct tape
- small multitool w/chain breaker & spoke wrench
- small, glueless patch kit
- $20 bill

see this thread for pictures:
http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc-racing/tube-co2-tools-storage-races-902846.html

or:
Bad Idea Racing: Infomercial: Day Two

while the above are my choice, they may not be preferential to your tastes. there's a multitude of threads on this topic. this one showed up in the bottom of the forum under 'similar threads':
http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-training/what-tools-tubes-do-you-carry-during-xc-races-780653.html

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Big Air can mounted to seat tube. Backup pump mounted to bottle cage mounts. Saddle bag with tube and multitool. Last year I used one bottle in the cage and the 2nd in the jersey pocket but this year I'll use both bottle cage mounts (top and bottom of downtube) and have less in my jersey. I have a reusable zippered food bag (~4"x6") that I have a minimal first aid and tool kit and spare derailleur hanger in that I put in a jersey pocket. Food/gel and arm/leg warmers in other jersey pockets if needed. I stock my aid station drop bags with food, gels, extra tubes, CO2, and clothes as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like Pedro's Tulio skewer/multi-tool for my multi-tool. I never forget it this way. It's your rear skewer and multi-tool and it only weighs 90g

the tube, quick-link, and CO2 go in a small saddle bag.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I just got one of those Race 3 straps from Backcountry Research that helps Dicky pay the rent.

Went on pretty slick, just gotta figure out how/where to put the CO2 inflator head so that it stays put, but doesn't quite puncture the cartridge.

I've ridden for years with a Blackburn Mountain Pump in my center jersey pocket, with a spare tube rubber-banded to the bottom of it, which has resulted in never having lost it yet.

But running tubeless Schwalbe Snakeskin tires, I haven't had a local flat in years, so I'm going to try the strap thing to get crap out of the jersey (plus, it looks PRO).

If it works for training/fun rides, it may get the call up to the Big Show (actual races).

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
...just gotta figure out how/where to put the CO2 inflator head so that it stays put, but doesn't quite puncture the cartridge...
I screw the Chuck nearly all the way down but not about to puncture, then run a strip of electrical tape stuck to each side of the co2 canister and over the top of the Chuck. It can't screw in or out and it's relatively quick and easy to pull the tape back off.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I screw the Chuck nearly all the way down but not about to puncture, then run a strip of electrical tape stuck to each side of the co2 canister and over the top of the Chuck. It can't screw in or out and it's relatively quick and easy to pull the tape back off.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's exactly what I did! Didn't want to tip my hand until I had actually tried it, though.

I also oriented the head so that it bumps against the seat bottom in the unscrewing direction, for double-jeopardy protection.

Gilligan Test today (3-hour tour).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts