Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

After picking up a set of Dave's SpeedDream wheels at the beginning of the season and being amazed at what a difference they made, I've since become interested in attempting to build up a wheelset of my own, and was wondering what all tools I would need.

I know that I would need a truing stand and a set of spoke wrenches, but beyond that I'm not too clear on. I'm assuming that I may need some hub servicing tools too, but again I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help!!! :)

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
customized
3,123 Posts
It is true all you "need" is a spoke wrench, but I wouldn't even bother if your used to such a precise wheel as one from Dave.

To be technical, you need something to hold the wheel in and some sort of device to let you know if it is straight... I would love to see Shiggy riding a wheel he built in his lap with just that one spoke wrench.

If you want to learn to do it you should do it on a quality truing stand and really take your time... do not skimp on any step. I would read all you can on the subject before you do your first wheel. I think the most important steps will be destressing the spokes often. Once you build a few then you can do it less often. You will get a feel for it.

Your fingers will hurt before you are done.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Severum said:
...To be technical, you need something to hold the wheel in and some sort of device to let you know if it is straight... I would love to see Shiggy riding a wheel he built in his lap with just that one spoke wrench...
I never said you build the wheel with it laying in your lap. Read Mike T.'s wheelbuilding info I referred to. You can build good wheels by using the fork/frame to hold the wheel as you work on it. A truing stand makes it easier but is not necessary.

I built dozens of wheels with only a Park spoke wrench and a $20 truing stand that was not much (if any) better than an old fork.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
shiggy said:
I never said you build the wheel with it laying in your lap. Read Mike T.'s wheelbuilding info I referred to. You can build good wheels by using the fork/frame to hold the wheel as you work on it. A truing stand makes it easier but is not necessary.

I built dozens of wheels with only a Park spoke wrench and a $20 truing stand that was not much (if any) better than an old fork.
I didn't mean to be rude. I was actually trying to humor you, which is a rare occurance as far as I have ever seen on these boards. Maybe I missed it though in your abundance of posts.

Btw, a truing stand or a fork when used to build a wheel... is a tool. If you only "need" a spoke wrench as a tool, then I suppose you would have to set it on your lap and eye ball it. I get what you were saying though... no need to buy any new tools since you already would have a bike to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.