Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a spot brand ss belt drive, love the bike but it has a rear hub problem, skips, pops and creaks, I need ro remove the cog to inspect or replace the rear hub but can not find anyone who sells the belt whip for removal. If any one has any info that would be great. I have tried to get hold of both spot and gates but so far no luck

Thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just got word form Frank at gates, they have the whips in stock now. email him to find out how you or your LBS can get one

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
as far as the skipping and popping, a STRAIGHT belt line is VERY important. it could be the hubs as well. most new hubs needs some attention after they have few miles on them as teh bearings and lock nuts seat into place.

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
I'm getting frightful creaks and pops from my Spot crank, so check that, too. Something to do with the clamping bolts on the non-drive side. Still sorting that out.

Belt whip: I faked it by using a steel bar with two pegs. Think of it like a steel ruler with a peg at 1/2" and one at about 3". Stick the pegs into the cog "lattice work" to hold it while turning the lockring.

--Greg

·
Administrator
469 Posts
Bikeabout said:
I'm getting frightful creaks and pops from my Spot crank, so check that, too. Something to do with the clamping bolts on the non-drive side. Still sorting that out.

Belt whip: I faked it by using a steel bar with two pegs. Think of it like a steel ruler with a peg at 1/2" and one at about 3". Stick the pegs into the cog "lattice work" to hold it while turning the lockring.

--Greg
Works fine. A pin spanner also works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts