Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, several years ago I took the drill to the tool you see below. It came from REI,I believe, it's made of aluminum, and consists of a 32mm headset wrench and a BB lockring wrench.
I would like to buy another (without holes). Does anyone know where there might be one still in stock??
I am aware of the similar Park wrenches (usually a Headset wrench, and pedal wrench) made out of steel.
Vintage content: used for many tours on my Goat. Whenever carried I never needed to use it, of course.
Many thanks. (PS, see my Sig, they don't call me the Buffmeister for nothing ;-)
Flooring Black Pattern Hardwood Metal

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
If you check at your local shop, Cool Tool used to make headset wrench adaptors to add onto their tools, and they may just have some laying around. I'll look at work for you tomorrow. It could be an interesting alternative to what you have there...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ttt

Thanks, but I am looking specifically for this tool.
I have a pair of the Topeak headset wrenches, which are quite similar to the Cool Tool wrenches, already.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ok, I'm late to the party, but knew I had this someplace. REI sounded about right!

I filed one end down to use as, I don't know why I did that, Tire lever? Pry bar? Screwdriver? I forget.

Also cut 8mm and 10mm slots. I did use those on brakes.

I carried this around a lot, back in the lose headset days. Then I discovered those "gorilla" headlock things. Loved 'em.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ttt

The end you filed down tends to gouge the chainstay unless used VERY carfully. Bet that's why you filed it down, I did the same to mine. Compare the profile of the tool there with a typical Hozan, which is much more svelte.

I got my replacement tools (I bought 2 of them, never know if I will ever see them again, so better stock up) from Bicycle Tools/Parts Etc the other day. Very fast shipping, and the alum tools were exactly what I bought all those years ago.

Also from them, I highly recommend these as a touring take-along. Very compact, light, and much nicer made than in the (poor) photo. Cheap too.....they save weight by using a removed crank bolt as the crank-puller threaded part. Neat!!!
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...=Tools&sc=Crank&tc=Extractors&item_id=LF-04BO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.