Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Crank Brothers multitool. On the body of the chain tool that spins around the pin there are four slots marked 0,1,2, & 3,. What is the purpose of these?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Curious, how were the ergonomics of using the spoke wrench? I carry a regular spoke wrench in my toolkit, but have had a mini tool with a spoke wrench feature that sucked to actually use.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I like the spoke wrench on my Crank Bros multi-tool. I've never used a regular one, so I don't have anything to compare to. I've used it several times to do quick truing jobs both at home and on the trail. I lent it to a riding buddy one time who was having trouble with the spoke wrenches on his Park multi-tool and he liked it too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What he said.
I haven't used a real spoke wrench yet either, but the crank bros thing seems to do fine. The piece that has the spoke slots threads off of the chain breaker so it isn't attached to the rest of the tool when using it as a spoke wrench.
I imagine a real spoke wrench could be better, but they can only be so big before you couldn't use them between spokes right?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep, I wouldn't try to build a set of wheels with it, but there has been more than once when I turned a wheel into a potato chip and was able to 'true' it enough to get back home. The Crank Brothers multi tool is the best I've ever used.

Mikey

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Part of the trick to carrying a spoke wrench is to carry the right one, so if the CB tool gives you four sizes and isn't too hard on the hand, that's a great thing. Personally I build my own wheels so know which spoke wrenches (have different setups) to carry, use the Park of this type http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=16&item=SW-0 which are also fairly compact and easy to carry as well as build with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.