Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting some tools soon, and wanted some opinions. I am planning on getting Park or Pedros tools for thinks like crank pullers, BB and lockring tools, but wondered if the quality on the Torx stuff that Pricepoint sells is good? I am looking at their cone wrenches, chain tool, etc. Is it stamped metal, or cast? any thoughts help

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
172 Posts
Forgive me but is Torx a name brand or are you looking for Torx drivers? If you're looking for torx drivers, go to Sears or Home Depot and pick up Craftsman or Husky (respectively). If you're looking for Torx as a brand name, I can't help you there... ;)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Don't buy cheap torx head stuff. This is what will happen.

For things like cone wrenches, i would be a little less worried. For a chain tool, i strongly reccomend the park offerings. The threads bottom out so that you do not push the pin too far. Also, park has replacement tips available if you damage yours.

In general, cheap tools will always be cheap tools.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks rkj_

I am not talking about Torx bits or drivers, but rather the "Torx" brand of tools that Price point carries. I wont get cheap tools for anything else, so for bikes I know to spend some money on good stuff. Tahnks for the advise about the Chain tool. what I am really asking about, is whether or not the quality of tools is decent, like say

Park = Snap-on or Mac the ????????? = Craftsman

Thanks

Matt

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
Get the Park P-Handle Torx. It's the fastest and bestest. LOL I thought it was an extractor at first too! Park isn't Snap-on or MAC, but nicer than Craftsman for the most part. It's hard to say, there's not too many high end bike tool manufacturers. You can find odds and ends but no one that does everytool. Snap-on did the tools for Trek/Wrench Force early on and those are the bomb (Except the chain tool and truing stand =Crap). Stein makes some invaluble time saving tools for cassette and BB removale...Sorry I'm ranting....don't get me started on tools...I'll take a picture of my tool box and post it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think Snap-On is overly hyped, you're better off with MAC or SK. My grandfather gave me a bunch of tools of mixed brands. All the Snap-On were rusted/oxidized. All the SK tools looked brand new. We're talking 30 year old tools as well. Also around here the Snap-On dealers will do anything to not honor a warranty claim whereas the MAC guys will bend over to help you.

I'd say Craftsman is hands-down the best tool for "hobbiest". Their no hassle warranty on hand tools is insane. Bring it to Sears, swap it out and you're done. Compound that with the fact that Sears runs nice sales on select tools at various times during the year and you can an awesome deal. Husky (exclusive to Home Depot, made by Stanley) is also a good brand with a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure if they are as good as Craftsman. I don't think their selection is as big as Craftsman but there are some benefits. The cool thing about Husky is (or was) that their torque wrenches come with a lifetime guarantee. Its very hard to find a long-term guaranteed torque wrench (most warrant for 1 year).

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Quality of tools like cone spanners, BB tools and cassette tools should not be compromised. There's no way I'd get a cheap tool for any of these tasks. Cheap tools are less likely to be manufactured to close tolerances and are therefore more likely to slip off cone nuts, etc. and cause damage to surrounding components, or simply frustrate you in the middle of a job by having to trek to the store and buy a replacement.
The non-specific bike tools I use the most are good quality, but not workshop grade. I use Stanley spanners, 8mm, 10mm and 15mm are pretty much it on my bike, and also have a set of GS (German quality standard) grade ball-end Allen keys. The spanners are between £3 and £6 each and are more than adequate for regular use. I paid £7 for my 10pc Allen key set, 1.5 mm to 10mm and, again, are adequate for regular use. I have a good quality socket set from my motor mech days but honestly wouldn't be able to justify buying one for bike work, they just aren't necessary.
If you're going to spend all day, every day fixing bikes than it's worth spending big money on tools, otherwise it'll probably work out cheaper to use mid-range stuff and replace it as it wears out.
It might sound strange but go to different tool shops and handle different tools. You'll soon get a feel for what's good quality, and what's not. Also, bike shops are rarely the best place for non-specific tools. In the UK, I've found that things like tools, lubes and oils all have a huge mark-up just 'cos the packet has a silouette of a bloke on bike. A good quality allen key set costs £6 for a Stanley in the hardware store, yet it'll be £12 for a 'multi-tool' with anodised, laser-etched whatever.
If you have, and service your own, suspension forks, go to a motorbike shop for oil. Guaranteed it'll be way cheaper without losing out on quality.
I'm also starting to rant?!? I'm off....

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
I'm pretty sure ...

I'm pretty sure those "Torx" branded tools are rebadged Lifu tools. These would be the same ones as "Spin Doctor".

I have a Lifu set. Some of the tools in there are throw-aways. But, except for the cone and spoke wrenches, the bike specific tools are all good stuff. I've never had use for the headset wrench, but I've been told that this is a loser in that set as well.

The cassette tool is awesome.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kevin6s,

I had a great experience with Mac. I bought a dial torque wrench off ebay (0 to 125in/lb I think). Called Mac because I wanted it calibrated (they said $45) - then send me shipper and I send it off. When I get it back they did not calibrate the old one -- they gave me a brand new one. Not what I was asking for or expecting but I will take it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.