Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the silly question but I am a recent owner of a used Bianchi SASS with a Spot rear hub and Shimano freewheel cog. Do I need a special tool to change/remove this cog?

I am wanting to go to an ENO cog and need to know what I need.

Thanks!

Russ
 

·
Steamroller
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Bench vise is handy too

xrmattaz said:
You need this tool. Works on both the SHi tmano, ACS and ENO.

Order through your LBS (they should have in stock!) from Quality. Use a breaker bar, or the stock muffler from a XR600R (my personal favorite!) to break the FW loose.
This way works :rolleyes: ............ or you can work things the other way and put the tool in the vise and turn the wheel, It's how I've seen two good shops do it and how I now do it too. Of course you have to have a vise and some clearance around it to do this.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
I wish I could afford a "vise"! That would be nice.

A nice vice would be good.

Edit. Aktooally, upon thinking just a little further....the vice is nice, but the muffler accompanies me to all the races!

Mattman said:
This way works :rolleyes: ............ or you can work things the other way and put the tool in the vise and turn the wheel, It's how I've seen two good shops do it and how I now do it too. Of course you have to have a vise and some clearance around it to do this.
 

·
Steamroller
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Vice or Vise?

xrmattaz said:
I wish I could afford a "vise"! That would be nice.

A nice vice would be good.

Edit. Aktooally, upon thinking just a little further....the vice is nice, but the muffler accompanies me to all the races!
From a quick seach......if you are speaking of drugs, sex, drinking, vice cops etc. only "vice" works. But for the tool people seem to use either "vise" or "vice" freely. I don't have Mr Webster here handy to know what he thinks is correct. Isn't our language fun! ;)
 

·
Steel and teeth.
Joined
·
577 Posts
Mattman said:
This way works :rolleyes: ............ or you can work things the other way and put the tool in the vise and turn the wheel, It's how I've seen two good shops do it and how I now do it too. Of course you have to have a vise and some clearance around it to do this.
Sometimes it works, and other times not so well. ;)

Of course, last time it didn't want to remove my ENO. :(
Had to resort to the persuader. :eek:

b1umb0y
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
Better tool is ...

xrmattaz said:
You need this tool. Works on both the SHi tmano, ACS and ENO.

Order through your LBS (they should have in stock!) from Quality. Use a breaker bar, or the stock muffler from a XR600R (my personal favorite!) to break the FW loose.
Thanks to a poster from ~2 weeks ago I ordered the version integrated with a `14" handle..
Great! http://www.jrbicycles.com/acsfreewheelspanner2in1.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Broke mine too

I also broke my vice using that method, my vice was a $15 cheapy so its what i get. However, find a long piece of pipe to use as a cheater bar when you have the wrench on the free wheel worked for me. The only thing is that it took me and my freind (one torqing down and the other holding the tool on the free wheel) It came of really quick using the cheater bar bacause that sucker was not coming off with out the extra leverage.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
I still wholeheartedly stand by my decision! Dangit.

The stock XR600R muffler must weigh twenty pounds, and when used with a nice 12" adjustable wrench, I've never ever ever had a freewheel cause any problems....they just give up! The muffler has it's own "carry bag"....in olive drab no less, and accompanies me to the races.

Vises and such are nice too....use what you have! Hee hee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Folks.............

I may try the vise method but I also own a cheapie vise so if I break it I guess that's my fault for buying a cheap tool!!

Russ
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top