Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tools for my bike, my dads old road tools are just no help whatsoever. I also need a stand. What tool kit would you guys recommend for someone just needed to do regular matinence on my bike? ALso what stand? Thanks

· Registered
495 Posts
Lickqid said:
I need some tools for my bike, my dads old road tools are just no help whatsoever. I also need a stand. What tool kit would you guys recommend for someone just needed to do regular matinence on my bike? ALso what stand? Thanks
First go out and get a good portable multi tool like a Topeak Alien or the one made by Crank Bros -- a must for fixing stuff on the trail and at home. That will get you all the basics, then you can expand. SMT is right on when he suggests you get a good set of metric hex wrenches and screwdrivers. As you learn more about fixing bikes, you should pick up a chain tool, pedal wrench, and maybe a crank puller/bottom bracket tool (these last two are specific for the type of cranks/bb you are running). Later on, you will get into stuff like spoke wrenches, freewheel tools, chainwhips, etc. Just buy them as you need them, or, if you have the money to burn, pick up a Park tool set and get pretty much everything you need at once. Park also makes the best stands IMO ($), but you can also get similar models from performance, etc. Expect to pay around $100 for a good stand.

Good places to pick up tools/stands:
www.greenfishsports.com
www.jensonusa.com
www.performancebicycles.com
www.pricepoint.com

· Registered
465 Posts
yeah, 90% of the things you will need to do can be donw with allen wrenches. other than that, definitly a chain tool, cable cutters, crank pullers, pedal wrench, etc. if you have several bikes you maintain and work on regulalrly, a headset press will pay for itself fairly quickly. one caution: DO NOT try to save money by buying cheaply made tools. they will brake quickly and will not work as well as a quality tool. in the end, you will end up buyign a better version anyway, go ahead and buy it now. if you simply cannot afford to buy a certain tool, just take you rbike to the shop for that task (or borrow one from someone) until you can afford it. cheap shi ty tools will just make you mad and make things harder.

· Registered
495 Posts
flatulentfox said:
yeah, 90% of the things you will need to do can be donw with allen wrenches. other than that, definitly a chain tool, cable cutters, crank pullers, pedal wrench, etc. if you have several bikes you maintain and work on regulalrly, a headset press will pay for itself fairly quickly. one caution: DO NOT try to save money by buying cheaply made tools. they will brake quickly and will not work as well as a quality tool. in the end, you will end up buyign a better version anyway, go ahead and buy it now. if you simply cannot afford to buy a certain tool, just take you rbike to the shop for that task (or borrow one from someone) until you can afford it. cheap shi ty tools will just make you mad and make things harder.
Exactly. You get what you pay for. Off-brand tools are crap for the most part. Stick w/ Park, Pedros, Crank Bros. -you'll only have to buy them once.

· kona-tize me captain
3,106 Posts
im in the same problem you are in my freind, can anyone recommend a good bike work stand that will do well for downhill bikes( upper 40lbs).....and i dont mean to jack ur thread or anything

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Ultimate Pro for a stand.

where you can, get tools from Sears Craftsman...like hex wrenches, screw drivers, etc.

it's hard to recommend tools for regular maitenance. my regular maintenance involves gutting the bike...so i'd go for:

- crank puller
- bb tool
- pedal wrench
- hex wrenches (metric 2 - 8mm, 10mm, 11mm...imperial, i don't know. get a small set, though. Profile, King, and a few other use imperial bolts)
- cassette-ring tool
- chain-whip
- adjustable wrench (2 or 3 different sizes if you want to be complete)
- cable cutter
- a pic (to round out housing after you cut it)
- black spoke wrench (assuming a major brand nipple...DT, Wheelsmith...any non-wal-mart/ cheap-ass wheel)
- chain tool

· Registered
675 Posts
Balldriver

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I didn't know it was called a "balldriver" but this is the kind of hex wrench set you want. The are preferable to a straight non-ball ended hex wrench because you can grab a bolt from an angle. I haven't seen them at Sears, but there are good inexpensive sets you can get from your LBS.

ICE ICE BABY! Go for Ice Toolz, also listed under Lifu. I prefer these to Pedros and Park.

Good advice on the Ultimate Pro. It's a good stand, and totally collapsable so you can put it in your vehicle and take it to races.

My basic tools:
Ice Toolz mulit-tool for the trail (complete with chain tool AND bottle opener)

allen (hex) wrenches (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5,6, 8) + 4/5/6mm tri-wrench
dikes
small pliers
flathead, philips
tire levers
big bag of zip ties
cutting tool (razor knife)

I always have this bare minimum in the car when I travel with the bike (which is, like, always).

· Glad to Be Alive
42,881 Posts
sunnyracegirl said:
I

My basic tools:
Ice Toolz mulit-tool for the trail (complete with chain tool AND bottle opener)
QUOTE]

oh and the bottle opener works great...tried it out on a few Stellas and Becks...where are those pictures Laura???

· Registered
278 Posts
Ultimate....

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
great advice....cheap stuff ends up stripping your bolts too
Ultimate Pro Stand rocks, nice adjustability. I got a metric multi tool at Sears for like $8.50, then grabbed another single 8mm for my forks. I keep that, a leatherman, and a chain tool in my bag when riding. I end up getting tools as I need them.....You'll be surprised one day when you see the pile you have accumulated!

· Bike to the Bone...
8,281 Posts
austinb89 said:
im in the same problem you are in my freind, can anyone recommend a good bike work stand that will do well for downhill bikes( upper 40lbs).....and i dont mean to jack ur thread or anything
I haven't seen the Ultimate stand, but I have a Parks PS-1 and it's pretty nice and looks sturdy.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PCS-1

I like Park Tools chain tool. The think just stops automatically when removing or reinstaling the pin.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CT-5

There are tool kits with lots of stuff, but I think it would depend on what level of mechanic you want to do. Probably just buy things as you need them. I bought this kit and seems nice.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=6&item=BK-2

I also have some screwdrivers and allen wrenches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.