Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first SS and I am loving it. I do have a question though.

What kind of multi-tool are you guys carrying? Is there anything out there with a wrench to take of the back wheel in case of a flat? Or should I just carry a separate wrench?

I know it's a lame question but oh well...

Thanks....

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Are you asking about 15mm wrench for axle nuts? When I have the solid axle hub on the back I carry a Campagnolo "peanut butter" wrench. Otherwise, I've got a basic allen set (3,4,5,6mm's), one tube, a patch kit and a pair of nylon tire levers.

I did find a "Performance" multi tool which has an 8mm allen but it is otherwise the same tool.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's kind of pricey, but the Surly Jethro Tool is nice. It doubles as a bottle opener (those Surly guys are a bunch of drunks). Just add the Jethro Tool to a standard multi-tool and you are all set.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,691 Posts
jdub_760 said:
What kind of multi-tool are you guys carrying? Is there anything out there with a wrench to take of the back wheel in case of a flat? Or should I just carry a separate wrench?...
Personally I like to carry separate tools rather than a multi-tool. I find separate tools easier to use plus I can make a much lighter take-along tool kit this way because half the tools on the average multi-tool go unused by me.

Back when I used to ride with a bolt-on rear hub, I went to a hardware store and bought a combination wrench, then cut the open-end off with a hacksaw and kept the box end in my tool kit. I left the "handle" as short as I felt necessary. It's a little weight to carry, but it never slips when it use. I think I paid $2.99 for the wrench. A cheap Chinese one works fine. A little rust on the cutoff end won't hurt anything.

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
JethroTool is a great tool if that is what is needed. I use it for my Pista. Both axles are bolt on.
My multi-tool is a Crank Bros Multi-Tool 19. It has it all, including a chain tool.
If you need a longer 8mm or 6mm allen wrench, just carry a longer one with you.

Good luck on it.

·
donkey
263 Posts
Pick up a short little 15mm craftsman box wrench at a hardware store, use the closed off end and file/ hacksaw the open end into a bottle opener. Kind of like the jethro tool, but alittle cooler!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
May be rediculous, but...

I carry everything. I have all necessary tools to completely rebuild the bike (almost). I figure better safe than sorry, and carrying the extra weight makes me stronger.

I show all the stuff I carry here for those that actually want to see the list and photo of what is in my pack.

If you can not be the fastest guy, at least be the one that everyone counts on when they break something....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.