Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
What's more fun than bombing down your favorite local descent?

Bombing down your favorite local descent with Hans Rey on your rear wheel...

Local entusiasts persuaded Hans "No Way" Rey to come visit Trondheim following his Tour de France coverage. Apparently he put up a fantastic trials performance during an extreme sports event at the Town Square on Saturday. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend.

I was, however, asked to guide him and a few select locals on our local trails for a mountain bike ride on Sunday, though. Well - the invitation wasn't hard to accept. Talk about a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hans showed up for the ride, not many hours after he supposedly went to bed after a long night on town and rode for 3 1/2 hours with lots of climbing in low 80's temps without breakfast or eating anything on the way. That's hard core in my book.

Despite being a living MTB legend, Hans is an extremely down-to-earth person, and just a plain nice guy to ride with. The terrain didn't allow him to utilize his skill set to the fullest, but it was fun to watch him clean some log crossings that I've been working on for a year - as if the logs weren't even there.

He seemed to have a good time, and said lots of nice things about our local trails. I have a feeling that wasn't out of pure courtesy, even from a guy that's ridden everything there is to ride on this planet.

The legend's first taste of Norwegian singletrack.

The weather was hot (by our standards) so a few riders decided to cool off during the longest climb.

Climbing to get us to the top of Goat Hill, the coolest descent in town.

Then I led the group down the upper section or the trail. If you ever need the right incentive to pick nice, clean lines down a fast, rocky downhill, try doing it with Hans Rey on your wheel. That even superseeds having PeteCam rolling back there.

The Goat Hill descent goes all the way down to the ocean, but we paused for a rest half-way at a lookout above town.

I was a little concerned that a mid-day ride in nice weather would mean hordes of hikers, but we met only two or three on our way. It was when I met up with my family at a popular swimming lake later in the day, that I realized why the trails had been almost to deserted. Norwegians don't go hiking when it's 82 degrees outside.

Attachments

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
There are few things cooler

to do for an out of town guest than to take them riding on your favorite trails. While teh WORLD FAMOUS Hans Rey has been just about everywhere, I know that hospitality is always a special thing when he finds it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"No Way!!!" Thats cool.

So 82f degrees is considered hot? I did a 100K ride with about 2000' of climbing on Saturday. Temps were near 100f and the humidity was high. I sucked down five 70oz refills from my camelback.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
YAWN

How interesting can those trails be with no crashes?

In related news, I'm 9+ minutes into the Trondheim vid with a ways to go. Scheduled release late tonight/early tommorow.

It's tough work as it makes me want to go back next week.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Neat. But what makes this any different than you average mt biker?
Biking Viking said:
Hans showed up for the ride, not many hours after he supposedly went to bed after a long night on town and rode for 3 1/2 hours with lots of climbing in low 80's temps without breakfast or eating anything on the way. That's hard core in my book.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Anything special about his I-Drive?

Did he have anything out of the ordinary that you could see that the rest of us would not have. Maybe 8 inch discs instead of 6 inch, a longer (or shorter) travel fork, special shock, etc. The picture looks like a regular I-1.0. Heck, was that him on the GT or was he on some other brand bike.

Just curious what a paid rider rides when he is just riding.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rev Bubba said:
Did he have anything out of the ordinary that you could see that the rest of us would not have. Maybe 8 inch discs instead of 6 inch, a longer (or shorter) travel fork, special shock, etc. The picture looks like a regular I-1.0. Heck, was that him on the GT or was he on some other brand bike.

He rode a totally stock Ruckus I-drive. Usually he rides a mix of a. the stuff he wants to ride and b. the stuff he gets paid to ride. This time the Norwegian GT distributor had just loaned him a bike.

·
dr.harmonica
72 Posts
Rev Bubba said:

He rode a stock GT Flowta that Beach Mountain, distributor of GT in Norway, provided him with. However, he brought his new trails bike and it certainly looked the business.

An interview with Hans Rey together with some riding pictures will appear in terrengsykkel.no, a Norwegian mountain bike magazine in a few days. In Norwegian only, but I know you guys allways keep your Norwegian dictionaries close at hand. (at least you do Pete)

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Hey, I have seen Hans Rey do some incredible trials stuff. Is he also an incredible XC rider? As in, skills and stamina? I have always wondered, would HR just blow all local riders away in an XC race?

I always liked his style.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
Hey, I have seen Hans Rey do some incredible trials stuff. Is he also an incredible XC rider? As in, skills and stamina? I have always wondered, would HR just blow all local riders away in an XC race?

I always liked his style.
I don't know. He rode with us to have fun, not to race - and he rode well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.